Ok so I had the car checked today.

-Intake Manifold Cracked.. Leaking coolant

- Oil Cooler leaking

- Oil Pan gasket leaking

- Rear End Spider gears or some sort of damage

- Not to mention something on the engine internals is knocking

Question:

Sell it? or Fix it?

Ok so it looks like the guy was trying to rip me off... I looked at my intake manifold, and the rear left hose (closest to the firewall) was up really high and coolant was seeping out... so I pushed it down. Don't know yet if that fixed it.. But it seems pretty obvious when he said he could have the new one on the same day... :/

Comment

what do you mean the hose was "up high"??? I dont know of many coolant leaks that can be fixed by pushing down on something... maybe have another shop check what you saw leaking. Id say dont worry about the oil leaks for now just keep it full.worry about the knock and rearend once this is taken care of!!
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

These things leak....every 5.0 I have seen ooozes oil so yes I am with 85crownhpp woory about the knock and the rear first....anytime we replace a part on Vicky we try and upgrade....Just a thought....
        YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

So are you saying replace the manifold?

Comment

If these are covered by your policy, get them fixed.

BTW, Find out how much it would be to upgrade to a traction- Lok differential. It will fix your spider gear (and your "one wheel peel") problem.
            '03 300b MM (My pride and joy until 8/9/13 @129k)

Comment

Was it just a hose that was not pushed all the way on the connector that you found leaking? When the intake leaks, its almost always up front behind the alternator. I am pretty sure by 2003 that was dealt with. If its aluminum right behind the alternator, the intake is fine. The black plastic ones would split the seam right there though.

The oil filter adapter / oil cooler gasket right there on the side of the engine where the oil filter is does often leak. Usually thats the only leak problem on the bottom. I'd be really surprised if the pan gasket was shot at this age. If it was bad I'd think it would be likely caused by some sort of impact that you could see on the oil pan.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Its not where the aluminum crossover... its towards the back left of the intake manifold... (Closest to the firewall) That tube that comes up was leaking from the hose.. but from the looks of it.. it looks like its been glued at the base of the tube.... no sign of leaks now.

Comment

Okay.. so the rear end finally gave... now the question 3.55? or 3.73... I told the shop i wanted 3.55 but will I be happier with 3.73?

Comment

Originally posted by Sphinx
                    Okay.. so the rear end finally gave... now the question 3.55? or 3.73... I told the shop i wanted 3.55 but will I be happier with 3.73?
                    What rear is in it now? If it is the 3.27 you wont really notice a big difference going to 3.55s.
                    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

It was the stock gears.. so ya it was probably the 3.27

Comment

I would say that it all depends on the type of driving that you do and what you want. If you're doing a lot of city driving and need decent accelaration, go with the 3.73. If you're doing a lot of highway driving and want decent fuel economy, stick with the 3.27. Of course this all depends on where in the power band your engine lives.
                        Packman

Comment

I really never drive on the freeway... But how much of a jump is it with 3.73's?

Comment

So I got my 3.73's love em.. well exept for today... I was driving and started smelling coolant.... so I stopped at the nearby gas station and popped the hood to look at the hose that was loose before...

I looked and I could see coolant down around the hose... So I lighty pushed on it to see if it had come loose again.... The nipple snapped of and hot coolant sprayed all over me, and burned really bad ... Some got in my mouth aswell due to the fact I yelled out "Fuck" as soon as I realized what had happend...

So the car is now in my driveway... undrivable.. with a brand new rear end...

So where is that instruction page on how to install a PI Intake Manifold?

Comment

2003 should already have that I think? I think you also need PI heads to go with a PI manifold. I'm guessing its probably that stupid under-intake hose that came apart. Those can be swapped without removing the intake. Need to pull the alternator, and its a pain in the ass but it can be done. Its still less work than popping the intake off.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X