Speed chips on ebay???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speed chips on ebay???

Are these things legit? There are a few different "speed chips" or tuning chips available. They claim to better the timing or increase air/fuel mixture or some other technological crap. Any reason to buy them? Any reason to avoid them like the plague? Here is a link to one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Linco...QQcmdZViewItem
    Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
    Bone stock... for now.

[QUOTE=MissinVicin]avoid them like the plague

They are bogus. Claim plug and play but all they do is drop the air inlet temp by a few degrees which really does nothing.
    "Owning a 9-second Import is like coming out of the closet.... At first it may be surprising, but in the end, you're still gay!"

www.myspace.com/nascarmechanic

Comment

It's a resistor inside that box, which tricks the computer into "thinking" the incoming air is cooler, providing more fuel. It can also make your car run rather rich, messing up cats and other expensive things. Avoid them.

Here's a tip... any electronic product that claims to increase horsepower for cheap with easy installation, is generally bogus. Shady at best. Also, phrases like "your car will be up to 20 horsepower faster" should increase the speed in which you run away from the product by at least 50%.

Comment

Yup, crap. There is no cheap way to get hp from a 4.6. Exhaust is about the cheapest.
        Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Well, thats advertising for ya, isn't it? In the 70's they sold an "unbreakable" dishware product. My uncle managed to throw one down and shatter it - as in, it got spiderweb cracks all through it, but it actually kept it's form. He looked at my mom and said "So would you call that broken, or not?" So maybe the speed chip gives you a few horses ONCE and then wrecks your cars systems. Sounds VERY bad.
          I didn't figure it was legitamite, but I figured I should ask anyways.
          Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
          Bone stock... for now.

Comment

The same thing could be accomplished with a >$1 resistor from Radio Shack.

Comment

Working...
            X