5.4L SOHC Swap (into a box)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5.4L SOHC Swap (into a box)

Just throwin this out there as a concept. I looked at the tech dept for 4.6 area, searched, and looked through whatever archives I could find on 4.6/5.4 engine swaps into older Panthers (i.e. 86-91) and didn't see any. So.....my question is, has anybody ever inquired about swapping one of these engines into an older Panther? I was looking for a 5.0L to replace the engine that I got in my 86 CV and realized that in my area there are a lot more current 5.4L SOHC engines out of wrecked Navigators, Expeditions, and F-150s than older 5.0Ls. I figure that I would have to retain the computer,wiring harnesses, and the transmission that goes with the engine, however, I know that I am just scratching the surface and that there is probably a ton of custom fabrication work. Any ideas on the scope of the work involved with this swap would be welcome. This is just a curiosity though. Thank you for your help.
    Packman

You look around crownvic.net? There are V10 swaps and a 5.4L lightning motor powered vic over there....
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

CVN huh? I could go over there and look; figured I would start where I feel most comfortable. I'll see what they got to say.
      Packman

Comment

The guy to talk to on CVN is "Powersurge." He did a blown 5.4L swap into a 2000 CV. Obviously there'll be a few differences between that and a box, but it's a lot more similar than an '03-up, and he should certainly be able to give you a few pointers.

Btw...if you do this, you will be the envy of most of the people on this site...lol

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
        1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
        But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

The 4.6 tech here is lacking, CVN has a good amount of 4.6 guys that have done tons of mods to thier cars.

Comment

To me this is the dream scenario; I was just throwing this out there. The way I see it, is that in NJ, the pickings are slim for older vehicles and engines and I don't have the time to search or even go to other states for a used 5.0L, however, I have been able to locate a couple in NJ. After calling a few JYs I realized that there are more of the 5.4Ls than older 5.0Ls. I don't have the computer knowledge needed to mod or swap the 5.4L into the 86 CV, however, I can possibly physically swap the engine/trans into the CV. My father has the metal fabrication skills to fab motor mounts and such. I can probably get the driveshaft worked on and the rearend changed (I have to do that anyway). I know it is going to be the other things like tuning issues and messing with the speedo (I think they have electric speedos) that is going to be a problem. Most likely I will end up with a 5.0L. I will check with CVN; but I know that this query will be the only reason I will post over there. We'll see how it goes.
            Packman

Comment

You are talking about putting a modular motor into a box right? No one on CVN has done that.

If you can fab mounts to hold a modular motor /trans combo, the hardest part would be getting the modular acessories to operate the box. Custom PS hoses and AC hoses too if you want it.
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

That's what I am talking about!!!! The devil is in the details. I'm surprised that nobody has thought to do this, but I live in NJ, so it is a little easier to find the mod motors(we sorta suck at driving; me included). If I had an easier time finding the 5.0L I probably wouldn't have inquired about this in the first place. I think the real trick would be fooling the computer into thinking it is still in the SUV or pickup truck. The trans crossmember would be another headache, perhaps some scrounging in the JYs might turn up something (possibly get trans X-member from a PI with the 351/AOD combo, if that is any different) that I could modify to fit. The exhaust would be pain, but it is doable. We'll see how much of a hassle this will be.
                Packman

Comment

Hehehe...we've certainly thought to do it. Just none of us has the balls (or at least the money) to try it. As far as a PI crossmember, I'm pretty sure they're no different from a civi car. The engine is the same length, and as far as I know, the tranny is the same length as well, so I don't think it'd make any difference.

If you decide to attempt this...KEEP US UPDATED. This has the potential to be an extremely cool project.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

From what I have gathered so far this looks like an expensive and time consuming project. I wouldn't be bothered so much by the time part because I could just get another CV to play with until I get it right. Unfortunately I live in a state and neighborhood that is not too friendly with gearheads so that is not an option. I will probably build up a 5.0L and keep this on the back burner.
                    Packman

Comment

Is NJ one of those states where if the running gear isn't a factory type combination, it's illegal?

Comment

None of the accessories would be difficult to get working. We use the newer steering boxes and modify the PS hose to work on the old car. (so just a newer hose would be needed, and toss in a new steering box)The A/C lines are very cheap and easy to have made. I doubt muc hfabbing would be needed for the motor mounts either. You would just need to get all the wiring from the donor vehicle.

Comment

what about using the 1991.5 year model 4.6 block that bolts to an AOD???
                          Would that make this easier???
                          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                          sigpic
                          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Isn't the 4.6 a different block than the 5.4?

Comment

The 5.4L has a higher deck height than the 4.6L, the 5.4L out of the Navigator is NOT an SOHC engine, its a DOHC engine with some pretty retarded power potential, for example, the heads were used on the 2000 Mustang Cobra-R that, although "rated" at 385HP made closer to 450..........

Another option is the Lincoln Aviator motor, which is over 300HP stock and a 4.6L DOHC mill similar to the one out of the Cobra..........
                              1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

Working...
                              X