Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dash Light / Climate Control Light

Howdy; gots questions.

Ever since I was hit, my dashboard gauge light and climate control console lighting will flicker in and out. I haven't checked the fuses yet, it may be a fluke...But I was just curious as to what y'all thought. Maybe a wire was knocked loose on impact?

Another thing that started up. My Viper keyless entry and remote start system stopped working. I thought it was just the remote battery at first; but the locks are supposed to work automatically when I start and turn off the car...And they don't fire. I haven't a clue how the system is wired; so maybe someone would know if they are sensitive to collision shock?

Thanks.

sigpic
    - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

is there any kind of reset buttion do you know? and the dash light's im not to sure about

Comment

mine does that too sometimes when I'm driving at night the cluster will dim for a little bit I think it's because of my orgrinal altenator

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
      302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
      k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Originally posted by gabegt90
        mine does that too sometimes when I'm driving at night the cluster will dim for a little bit I think it's because of my orgrinal altenator
        It doesn't dim, it goes completely out; the dash and climate control...Can't see a damn thing when it does.

sigpic
        - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

If its all the dash related lights you have a wiring problem in there. I had a problem with my old car that would lose power entirely on corners, no lights, engine, nothing. Ended up being bad battery cables.
          -Matt
          1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

Take out your headlight switch, I bet the plug is crispy.

I replaced the plug on mine, cuz I had no dashlights an shit. Still had no dash lights, replaced the switch and now its good.
            '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
            '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

yup look at that. next time it happenes, go look to see if you have parking lights. if not, its prolly the switch or a wire for the parking lights getting pinched. Try wiggling/turning the headlight switch too.
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

The headlight switch, and quite possibly the connector to the switch, are toast. Ford, in their infantile wisdom decided to route all the juice flowing through the lighting circuit into that switch.

If you're lucky, the connector may not have gotten fried just yet, and you'll just have to replace the switch. I also highly reccomend that you install relays for the headlights. Doing this will help prevent issues later down the line.
                Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Well...I had parking lights...

So, I guess I have to go under the dash to get the headlight switch out?

Paul...Would you have a diagram or a better explanation of the relays? I'm not the most electrically-inclined person...

sigpic

Comment

Might also be able to fix it by simply removing and re-installing the bulb. Sometimes the connection on the bulb gets funny. Good idea to inspect the switch connections though just to be safe.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                    X