Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

90 MAF

will a 90 ford lightning maf work on a 2000 grand marquis

Yes, with modifications. Not needed though, unless the car is making like 600HP. A Marauder 80mm and airbox is the more common modification.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Get the 80mm MM Maf

The 80MM Lightning MAF shares similar peak flow to the MM unit (~57.5#/min at 5.0v) however, it is designed/calibrated for much higher airflow (supercharged) applications.

Using it on a N/A car can compromise low-rpm driveability.

THe Marauder MAF, OTOH, is also 80mm. It supports a peak flow of 57.5#/min @ 5v - and is designed for a naturally aspirated application. This means low rpm/low air flow driving is metered correctly for our application. Where as the Lightning MAFs are metered for high airflow/supercharged application.

Use the MM MAF with the MM airbox, they are sold together at www.adtr.net

THe 90 mm lightning MAF supports even more peak flow, but like John I strongly suggest not using inon a n/a car in favor of the MM 80mm. THe 90mm lightning is for supercharged applications - only.
      -My Homepage, Panther info & FAQs-
      My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis LSE -
      Modifications
      Click My Merc for more Pics!

Comment

Are you pegging the one you have now?

A MAF will max out the PCM's a/d converter when its output goes above 5 volts. The MM MAF puts out 5V at around 400 hp. The MAF voltage will continue to rise with higher airflow, so there are gizmos called MAF extenders that will rescale the upper end of the MAF's voltage output to keep the signal sent to the PCM below 5V - but it requires adjustments to the MAF transfer function in the tune for the PCM to make sense of it. I've seen MAF extenders advertised to extend the MAF signal to about 825 hp.
        Supercharged '03 Mercury Marauder - SOLD

Comment

What about the SCT 2400 Big Air 90mm MAF? I've read about these installed on N/A Mustangs. The 2800 is supposed to be for vehicles with power adders.

I remember way back when Dennis Reinhart used to sell them for Panther applications.

I've heard that air velocity is beneficial. So with a larger air filter, MAF and intake tube going to the throttle body could possibly air flow, no?
          2001 Grand Marquis LS
          SuperMotors Page
          CJMF
          Motorsports North East

Best 1/4 Mile : 15.771 @ 86.96 mph 11/05/05
          224 RWHP - 250 RWTQ - 03-18-06

New Best 1/4 Mile :
          15.195 @ 89.79 mph 2.207 60' 11/03/06 - Race weight 4458 lbs.

Comment

90 lightning?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania
              90 lightning?

What? You've never seen one? Oh wait neither have I... or anyone else for that matter.
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I think he meant the 90mm MAF from a Lightning. That's the one that Reinhart used to use.
                2001 Grand Marquis LS
                SuperMotors Page
                CJMF
                Motorsports North East

Best 1/4 Mile : 15.771 @ 86.96 mph 11/05/05
                224 RWHP - 250 RWTQ - 03-18-06

New Best 1/4 Mile :
                15.195 @ 89.79 mph 2.207 60' 11/03/06 - Race weight 4458 lbs.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the SCT "Big Air" MAF is a recalibrated OEM MAF.

http://sctflash.com/product_BA.php

I'd be more inclined to go for a Diablo MAFia extender for adjustability, but I'm a Diablo fan.
                  Supercharged '03 Mercury Marauder - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by HwyCruiser
                    I'm pretty sure the SCT "Big Air" MAF is a recalibrated OEM MAF.

http://sctflash.com/product_BA.php
                    The sampling tube and housing look just like the 90mm Lightning unit, so I agree.
                    -My Homepage, Panther info & FAQs-
                    My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis LSE -
                    Modifications
                    Click My Merc for more Pics!

Comment

Working...
                    X