Vibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vibration

I have a 93 Grand Marquis GS and when I drive my car every morning (cold temp) I feel this vibration on 3rd gear. The vibration would last about 3-5 seconds. When the car is at normal temp. it shifts ok, but this time the 3rd slips, but not that bad. I took it to a mechanic and replaced the fluid, gasket and filter and it's still doing the same. I tried again this morning and the check engine light came on. I went to three mechanics that specialize in transmission and they all say that the transmission is fine, of course by the time I get to the mechanic, the car is at normal temp so they don't feel the vibration. So, I really need some help here.

thanks!

Has it had a tune-up. A missfire will feel like that. Could be a bad/dirty MAF
    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

re

I went back and looked at all the dealer records that my aunt has (she is the 1st owner) and it says that @ 18273 miles: (12/02/1996) "Transmission shutters" the dealership drained all of fluids...coolant, oil and transmission and also put new filters. On 11/03/98, @ 30131 miles, they replaced the spark plugs and drained coolant. On 09/29/2000 miles not listed, they replaced the spark plugs, INP wires and IGN sys. The car now has 58K miles, but recently (two weeks ago) the odometer quit rolling. I only drove the car maybe 20 miles since then and first realized this problem. So, I think I may have to do another full tune up.

you also mentioned a bad/dirty MAF.....what is MAF?

thanks

Comment

Mass air flow sensor. You shouldn't need a tune up then if you had that stuff. It is a sensor located on your air box. You will need a special torx bit to take it out and a special cleaner. Also you might want to check your air filter and fuel filter if they haven't been changed. Some shudder is normal with these older 4r70w transmissions. I upgraded my accumulators and that helped some.
        Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

re

I had a feeling that's what it stands for. what special cleaner do you recommend? Is there link that can provide some more info?

Comment

You want CRC Non-Residue contact cleaner -or- MAF cleaner (same thing)

I would NOT remove the MAF from the housing, the threads can easily strip.

Just unclip the upper airbox half, disconnect the IAT and MAF elec connectors, and tilt the assembly up (tube can stay)

You will see the MAF sampling tube, and the two small heated 'wires' of the sensor inside - spray them with the cleaner. Let dry then reinstall.

Your vibration sounds similar to TC shudder - may just need a fluid change with MERCON V

But since you mentoned CEL;
            Check the code. You can check it yourself with a short wire or even a paper clip:
            http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford/
            Finding out the code will make diagnosis much easier. A small misfire can often feel like TC shudder and vice versa.
            -My Homepage, Panther info & FAQs-
            My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis LSE -
            Modifications
            Click My Merc for more Pics!

Comment

change the trans to mercon V and add a bottle of lubegaurd also
              check engine light could be anything......check for codes.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

yeah what they said about the Mercon V. Thats the standard fix for the trans shudder problem. Seems to work for others.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

re

thanks!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X