I really screwed up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really screwed up

THe air pump was already off the 83 when I got it. tonight I took out the hoses and valves for that old a.i.r. system. I also plugged the vacuum line that went to the electrical solenoids that supplied additional vacuum to the valves on teh inner right fender. Now the car really runs like shit, so rich that EVERYTHING is black now. what the hell did I do wrong? It won't stay running, it hesitates and misfires. I'm beginning to hate this car.
    "Owning a 9-second Import is like coming out of the closet.... At first it may be surprising, but in the end, you're still gay!"

www.myspace.com/nascarmechanic

What is that electronic piece on the right inner fender well? It has three connectors on it, the housing is made of aluminium, it has 6 vacuum lines on it, two from the engine, two that re-attach to the unit, and two that go to the a.i.r. system hose mess right next to it. With the main vacuum hose removed from the unit, the car runs as described before. Plugged hose or not. With it plugged back it, it runs normal. What is this thing and how I can I delete it?
    "Owning a 9-second Import is like coming out of the closet.... At first it may be surprising, but in the end, you're still gay!"

Comment

There is one sensor over on the fender that must be connected, the B/MAP sensor. Its a roughly oval thing with a round electrical connector. If that has no vacuum, the system runs pig rich because the ECM thinks the motor is at full load. You cannot remove that sensor, its quite possibly the single most important one on an EFI system.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That is the oddest MAP sensor I have ever seen. Damn EEC-III system. Time to find a nice intake and 2v carb. That certainly explains the rich run condition. Is there an alternative? Smaller perhaps? Can I remove all the a.i.r system stuff connected to it and just run the MAP? Time to experiment.

Comment

Im not sure what the "thing" is... can you take a pic??? I cant picture it in my head and I was just looking at an EEC-III car under the hood...

Yes, you can remove the smog air stuff and be fine. Only thing you should have to have is the MAP as far as i know. You'll want to keep the one that controlls your Idle kicker/choke pulloff too.

this is the MAP demon

Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
          X