5MPG? WTF?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5MPG? WTF?!?!

I'm only getting around 5mph, pretty gay. Should I go buy a code scanner and check for codes? Any ideas? The car runs smooth, has all the AC components removed, the A.I.R. system has been removed except the tuibes at the abck of the ehads which are blocked off. Exhaust is all intact with a dynomax muffler. O.E. cop car tire size and speedometer reads 10 MPH fast bacuse of the tranny swap. this sucks, I've been driving my Wife's Impala just so I don't go broke.
    "Owning a 9-second Import is like coming out of the closet.... At first it may be surprising, but in the end, you're still gay!"

www.myspace.com/nascarmechanic

Ure vacume lines are gone???

If they are, id find my local Ford dealership/Auto Shop, And get a quote for having all new vacume lines ran :-D One in Ozark Alabama Quoted me 100$..

And i know evreyones gonna say a big yes for the code scanner :-D they are helpfull :-D

Do you have cat's? M<ight they be clogged?

How bought ure o2 sensor?

EFI carb or CFI :-D

D.K.
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

I don't think you'll find there's any kind of a scanner for your car. Someone will have to correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure OBDI didn't come around until 1988.

Now this is a standard lopo CFI 302, right? Now I know you removed all the emissions crap (hooray!!!), but IIRC, Thain told you that you removed a sensor that was pretty important and needed to be in there in order for the engine to run right. Did you put that back in, and did it make a difference? It could be that the bad mileage is just from the period where you were running it without that sensor...

Just a few thoughts.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
      1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
      But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

What's the setup on the car again? Carb? VV?

if it's carb, check for vacuum leaks and loose/missing vacuum lines, same for all the other inductions. Fuel pressure, fuel filter, ignition timing...
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

All the remaining vacuum lines have been replaced and do not leak. It's an EEC-III car (YUCK) with CFI. I can't change the timing because the distributor is locked in place with mounting tabs. Fuel filter is new, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, pcv, pcv cap, breather are all new. gas cap is new. tires are inflated to proper pressure, shocks are worn but should not be creating such a dramatic loss of mileage.
          "Owning a 9-second Import is like coming out of the closet.... At first it may be surprising, but in the end, you're still gay!"

Comment

[QUOTE=Nathan in MN]I don't think you'll find there's any kind of a scanner for your car. Someone will have to correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure OBDI didn't come around until 1988.

QUOTE]

This is wrong, Seeing i am holding one in my hand atm...It's a Actron For FOrd Lincoln Mercury,

It reads engine codes , has Trouble code guide, and is computer safe!

Model's range from 81 - 96 2.3 liter - 7.5 liter...

AutoZone carries it.. But you might have to go to a few stores to actualy find one.. Cost me i think 30 - 40 bucks... And i cant run the engine running key on test for some reasson

But anyhow just a fyi for all you box owners :-D

D.K.

: Start edit :
            Have you checked ure plugs? Put new Plug wires on? Have a timing light? Check it.. ( Although mine wont run right with "Proper timing" ) Umm... Check ure fuel lines make sure u dont have any leaks, and smell for fumes.. might be a rusted out on the top tank? Humm, Have you sea foamed ure cfi? ( Might not want to do that with a Cat... it will stop one up... ) Humm :-?What size tires are you runnin? 15's or 14's?
            Last edited by DarkKnight; 01-29-2007, 09:46 PM.
            People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

Fuel lines are clean and in good condition, they are even undercoated. I had it up in the air while runnign at pressure to check for fuel line leaks and nothing is wet. I have done the Justice Brothers fuel system treatment, I can't change the timing at all. It is literally NOT adjustable on my car. NEW plugs gapped properly, NEW spark plug wires that are running proper resistance. Tank has been full to the filler and does not leak anywhere. I am running 225/70R15 tires on steel wheels. Rear brakes are adjusted properly, front brakes release properly. I'm at a loss.....

Comment

Humm...

I had that same prob when i first got my vic.. so im trying to think of evreything i done to inprove it..

Hows ure fan working? Tell us what type of driving you do? Is it umm. hwy. or city?

New fuel filter? I know that helped mine 100%, Umm

Oil? I recomend useing a qt of lucus with our oil changes 2 :-D, ( I dont like this restore crap :-()

O and you still might want to check the timing... wont hurt nothin sept give you info. Although if you cant move it you woldent think it be possible for it to be off..

Comment

did you take a vacuum reading? I hear you can pull the vac line off the MAP sensor and look for goo to see if its bad.
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

[QUOTE=darkknight]
                    Originally posted by Nathan in MN
                    I don't think you'll find there's any kind of a scanner for your car. Someone will have to correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure OBDI didn't come around until 1988.

QUOTE]

This is wrong, Seeing i am holding one in my hand atm...It's a Actron For FOrd Lincoln Mercury,

It reads engine codes , has Trouble code guide, and is computer safe!

Model's range from 81 - 96 2.3 liter - 7.5 liter...

AutoZone carries it.. But you might have to go to a few stores to actualy find one.. Cost me i think 30 - 40 bucks... And i cant run the engine running key on test for some reasson

But anyhow just a fyi for all you box owners :-D

D.K.

: Start edit :
                    Have you checked ure plugs? Put new Plug wires on? Have a timing light? Check it.. ( Although mine wont run right with "Proper timing" ) Umm... Check ure fuel lines make sure u dont have any leaks, and smell for fumes.. might be a rusted out on the top tank? Humm, Have you sea foamed ure cfi? ( Might not want to do that with a Cat... it will stop one up... ) Humm :-?What size tires are you runnin? 15's or 14's?

That's a code reader, not a code scanner.
                    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Actually I think you can hook up a code scanner to EEC-IV/OBD-I (started on boxes in 84) - Theres an attachment for it anyway, the Snap-on one I use at work.. Im gonna hook it up to the 91 one of these days and see what it does.
                      I dont remember seeing any hook-ups under the hood of any EEC-III panther Ive seen, since it uses an ignition module Id guess not. Though there's got to be some sort of control device to manage the fuel injectors, a brain somehwere, unless its all just one big analog feedback control circuit. That'd be messed up
                      Last edited by 85crownHPP; 01-29-2007, 10:30 PM.
                      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                      sigpic
                      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Know if it ever had the timing chain replaced? If not it needs it.
                        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

EEC-II on my car has a diagnostic port, it looks like an EEC-IV, just without that wire outside the main plug. It's red and it's next to all the smog junk, look in the picture below right in front of the orange duct tape.

As far as it doing anything.... nope, not with the Actron Reader anyway. It doesn't do anything. I know Ford had a big reader on a cart back in the day that read EEC-II and EEC-I, they occasionally pop up on eBay and smaller ones too. The Actron works good on EEC-IV, but I've never used it on a EEC-III.
                          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

EEC III has very little in the way of diagnostic codes from what I hear. You can try pulling codes, but not sure what its gonna tell you. I'd check for vacuum problems. Plug a vacuum gauge into a manifold vacuum source and see what you get. If its not at least 17", there are probably leaks someplace causing you problems.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My car does not have the diagnostic port. It does have a computer located under the dashboard but no way to read anything from it. I went over the entire engine last night with brake cleaner looking for vacuum leaks and did not find a single one. *Sigh* I suppose I should get out the new timing light to see if the timing is off at all to go along with the theory that the timing chain and gears need to be replaced. What is the easiest way to get the crank gear off? Two jaw puller? BFH? Once the gears are replaced, can I grind the stop tabs off the distributor so I can adjust it or will the EEC-III system just retard the timing regardless where the distributor sits? Lately, at High RPM just before the shifts, it feels like 2-3 cylinders drop out at WOT and she loses a gang of power. could that be timing? Partially plugged cats? Should I jsut get Mustang headers, and a off road H-pipe? Ideas, thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                              X