waggin' idea???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

waggin' idea???

wondering if any of you waggin' owners removed the very back seats and made that into a sub box? i would leave the covers to hide it and have it hidden. wondering if anybody else thought of it? i gotta have a stereo now that i am behind the wheel of another vic. i am thinkin of getting the inside lit up red since the interior is maroon. i am wanting to find red lite up speakers. i can get red LED light bars from walmart that are self adhesive to mount in it but want the inside to look decked and confuse people since the clear coat is peelin and doesnt look that freat from outside. i am throwin ideas around if anybody has ideas of there own that i might be able to try. who was it that had the LEDs for sale on here since i wanna change out interior dome lights and such with red? this is gonna be fun with more room on the inside.
    Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

All my interior lights are red. I used to do alot of camping, and the red was alot easier on the eyes when you went back to the car for stuff. Didn't ruin your night vision. Got that idea from submarines when they go into battle mode.
    Dome lights you can get a red replcement blub. The ones under the dash I have red covers on, kinda like red condoms for the bulbs, that I found at autozone.

I don't have way back seats in mine. It's being used as a trunk. Have my tools, spare parts, extra fluids, etc. in there. I thought about getting a bazooka tube to throw in there, but they also have those kenwood flat subs or jvc flat subs that you can mount under the seats. 6 of one, half dozen of the other. I can't decided which way to go.
    The bazooka would probably be a better thump, but the flat one under the seat would make the girlfriends happier.
    1987 Country Squire LX Wagon 5.0L: Daily Ride......1964 Lincoln Continental 430ci: Toy #1.
    1984 F-250 4x4 4.9L: Toy #2.............................1968 Volkswagen Bug 2.0L: Toy #3.
    1989 F-250 4x4 5.8L: Emergency backup and work truck...

Comment

I thought of that but never did it
      sigpic
      1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

[QUOTE=87_crown_vic]wondering if any of you waggin' owners removed the very back seats and made that into a sub box?

Dear Panthers,
        The jump seats are one of those ideas that seem pretty cool until you try to think of the last time you needed to haul ten people at once. I pulled the seats and the hardware and use the space for a trunk. I always keep my tool bag and space blanket in there. Tire chains and kneeling pad in the winter. There's more room there than you might think. I've often driven three adults, four dogs, gear, and luggage for a week in Canada and never needed the roof rack.

Donald McCaig

Comment

I've played with the sub box idea, but I like the cargo space too well. One idea I've thought of is leaving the cargo pit alone (my '87 didn't have a third seat) and building 10" sub drivers into some sort of custom side trim for the cargo area - sort of like some import guys do with tons of molded fiberglass in their Civic hatchbacks. I got thinking about that since the stock rear speakers just point at each other and not so much sound gets up to the seating area. I've also thought of putting skinnier speakers like 4x10's in the trim next to the rear seats like in a '80s Mustang convertible. A custom sub box in the pit should be easy to do and a lot of fun, but it'll probably need lots of Dynamat and reinforcement so the thin metal doesn't just resonate uncontrollably.
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

you mean something like this?

Living in a Box

Comment

Is that for real or is it photoshoped?
              Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
              AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
              Open/Lock/Ratio #
              -----------------------
              G / H / 2.26
              B / C / 2.47
              8 / M / 2.73
              7 / - / 3.07
              Y / Z / 3.08
              4 / D / 3.42
              F / R / 3.45
              5 / E / 3.27
              6 / W / 3.73
              2 / K / 3.55
              A / - / 3.63
              J / - / 3.85

Comment

that is real.

this mega-woofer is a Clarion SRW8000, and the amp is under the woofer.
                it´s baaaad
                Living in a Box

Comment

Man, that's just nuts! How big is that thing, 24"?

Comment

I've been debating the plan for my wagon. I have to leave the seats, so small subs in two boxes under the seats is all I could do there.

I've also thought about using the little compartment on the drivers side of the cargo area for a little fiberglass box with an 8" sub.
                    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                      I've also thought about using the little compartment on the drivers side of the cargo area for a little fiberglass box with an 8" sub.
                      I kind of like that idea. There's so much space in those outboard areas if only it could be used efficiently. I've toyed with the idea of one day redoing the back of the car in wood and removing the spare tire well - then there should be room for 12" speakers on each side, easy. That'd be a huge project, though, and it'd take a lot of Dynamat - and honestly, 6x9s do seem to be plenty for the most part.

Comment

Why wood? Fiberglass would work great. It's easy to mold the back part of the box and make the front covers...A bit time comsuming, but it'd be awesome. I've been considering making new rear panels with 10's.

Comment

Probably because as little as I really know about woodworking, I have zero experience with fiberglass. Decent wood could get nearly as heavy as that Clarion sub, though .... probably a good thing I'm planning to teach myself some fiberglass skills at some point. My biggest worry about molding fiberglass would be what to use as a mold, though that's obviously not a huge deal for someone with the skills. Is it something you've done a lot of?

Comment

Nope... Only did one thing with fiberglass. Wasn't too bad to do and came out fairly decent.

You use the car as the mold. Take as much out and lay a coupe layers of tape down and then lay the FG over it.... There are plenty of how-to's online. It's not too bad. Even for first timers.

Comment

its not my trunk, but i know the guy with his "trunkwoofer" its a 26" baby *hrrhrr*

ive only got a 12" woofer between the rear seats in the cargo box. and it is removable, to use the rear facing seats or just to use the whole cargo space that the wagon has.

originally the car had the premium sound system, but it was removed to put in a self made one, with a 2 way "infinity" set in the front, and 3-way pioneer speakers in the back + the sub. (and i changed the radio too )
                              Living in a Box

Comment

Working...
                              X