Hissing under the dash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hissing under the dash

I seem to be hearing a hiss coming from under my dash, under the drivers side. Anyone else had this? I can't locate it because it only makes noise when driving and sticking my head down there at 35 doesn't seem like a great idea.

Thinking maybe the E Brake release because it seems slow to release when it's cold. Anyone replace one of them?
    2000 Grand Marquis LS
    2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
    1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
    Mercury Owners Group member
    Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

There are Snakes in motherfuckin wagon!!!!

LOL, it's the parking brake release switch more than likely. It's a white plastic crescent shape on the steering column down by the firewall. Pull the hose that comes from the firewall and plug it. it should go away.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

How do you release the parking brake then?
      2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

with the hand release... or you replace the switch! Or just bypass the switch and put vacuum on the vacuum motor, but the brake will release as soon as the motor is started.
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

There is no release handle. Guess I will unplug it to test and then replace it if it's bad.

Thanks
          2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Theres a small lever under the dash, doesnt say what it is. That's your release. I remember that from my '84 GMQ.
            '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
            '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Yea I remember now, not real convient location.

I'll just replace it. Can't be too tough.

Easier than that darn thermostat on my Honda.
              2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

the 91 is a push-on push-off E-brake. and it has the auto release... it scared me 1st time it did its thing.
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I wonder if a later model brake release handle could be installed on the older cars that don't have that thing....
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
                    I wonder if a later model brake release handle could be installed on the older cars that don't have that thing....
                    Not possible with anything that just bolts on, its a way different looking setup. I'm sure its possible with a little weld or home made bracket. I have had a handle sitting around for a while waiting for me to find time to install it somehow.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
                    1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
                    1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

Working...
                    X