CVPI springs replace Town Car air bags?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CVPI springs replace Town Car air bags?

I can pick up a mid-90s TC for cheap, great shape but needs air bags. I know a bunch of people (myself included) replaced the airbags in my GM w/ coils. Are the same coils a direct fit for the TC, only requiring me to drop the rear, remove the air bags, and replace with the coils?

Thanks,

J
    Love, Johnny

The way I understand it, that is how it works. HOWEVER, one of the appeals of this car is the nice soft ride that comes from the air suspension. Try to figure out if the compressor works or not (you'll hear it run). If it works it's probably either a bad selinoid in the air system or blown bags. In either case, it only costs a little more to replace the airbags with NEW AIRBAGS and selinoids than it does to get the springs. I thought mine were leaking (I drive a 1993 Town Car) so I have researched it some myself and those were my findings. You may be able to find the replacement parts on Ebay.
    I'm not sure when you posted this, but stuff in the 4.6 section usually gets answered less quickly because there are more 5.0 drivers and experts (ahem) on here. However, this is a great site. If you search "air suspension" on the site you'll probably find some threads discussing this in better detail with more info. Hope it works out well for you. Keep posting!!!
    Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
    Bone stock... for now.

Comment

Yeah, a buddy of mine bought a 90 TC thinking the suspension was shot, it was just the fuse under the hood. Im gonna upgrade mine with stuff from arnott. The air suspension rocks!
      Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Towny, I think you're the person who gave me alot of the info I used to answer his question. I;d hate to sacrifice the feel of the air system - if mine goes out I'll fix it instead of downgrading.
        Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
        Bone stock... for now.

Comment

In addition to the coils you'll need a pair of the isolators as well.
          D9AZ-5536-A x2

I would diagnose the RAS first, though.
          I have some RAS info here:
          http://www.crownvic.net/drock96marquis/RAS.htm
          -My Homepage, Panther info & FAQs-
          My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis LSE -
          Modifications
          Click My Merc for more Pics!

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll keep you guys posted...
            Love, Johnny

Comment

Working...
            X