AMP light on, alternator's not broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AMP light on, alternator's not broken

My amp light is on but my alternato dosent seem to be broken, if i pull the battery cable off it stays running no problem, and it keeps my battery charged, dose anyone know why the light might be on??

Take a volt reading while its running. Check to make sure all the small plugs are tight on the posts, or take the covering off the alternator wire harness and look for anything unusual. The're a wierd splice back there...
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I had a problem like that on my Lincoln. It was charging just fine but it was flashing "Charging System" all the time (digital dash). It turned out that I had one of the sensor lines hooked up wrong so it couldn't tell it was being charged. Just make sure you've got all the wires hooked up correctly.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
      1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
      But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

If you have an auto parts store thats tests voltage regulators and alternators, I'd take both down to get tested and see what happens. If they are both good then you have a wiring bug.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
        My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

Working...
        X