Cold-weather hard start, no high idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold-weather hard start, no high idle

My 83 is a BITCH to start in the morning. I have to hold the gas for 5 minutes before it'll even idle. When it does idle, it's at about 400-500 RPM and shakes the whole car. The high idle doesn't even kick in until I am at work already. Ideas? How to adjust the choke? The high idle is nice, once it's warm. If I turn the screw in to bump it up, it races when it gets a little warmer.
    "Owning a 9-second Import is like coming out of the closet.... At first it may be surprising, but in the end, you're still gay!"

www.myspace.com/nascarmechanic

Does the high idle kicker attempt to move? Have you tried to spray some oil on the throttle parts to make sure its all moving freely? Sounds almost like the idle kicker is sticky and doesnt free up till the motor is already warm.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

which screw did you turn? the one on the throttle lever side is only for warm idle. Theres another screw on the other side that should adjust the cold/choke side. Ive got some video of how the choke is supposed to catch around here...
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
      X