New system time...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New system time...

I'm getting ready to upgrade the system in my '03. I'm going to start with a couple subs, then add speakers at a later date. If anybody has any ideas or suggestions, add them. I don't know a ton about car audio, so any help is appreciated.

This is the head unit that I have:

It's a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X789. It's been decent so far, but has started giving me a couple problems lately, so it will probably be replaced after I get everything else done, currently it's my lowest priority.

The first thing I'm going to do is get some subs, I'm thinking either a couple 10s or 12s. Give me your suggestions.

in Baby, the CV in my sig, i have
    2- 12inch subs made by Audiobahn for DUBS
    2- 2 way 6x9 DUBS
    2- 5 1/4 DUBS speakers in the front dash
    i run a amp & cap kit to a 350w max bridged amp that is getting switched to a 1000w RMS bridged amp i found for $110

Deuce has

2- 6x9 4 way Dual speakers that are lit by LEDs
    2- 6 1/2 2 way Dual speakers that are lit by LEDs
    the Dual brand speakers that light up are called Illuminites and you can get those at Wal-mart.

i use the subs to carry all the bass, and use the rest of the speakers as treble to balance it out so i can hear everything. i would suggest the Dual brand over the DUBS since my DUBS are acting like the voice coils are going out. also when you put the subs in, get dynamat, or the equivalent that they carry at Lowes, or Home Depot that is much cheaper. run your RCAs away from your power line to your amp, and if you dont get an amp & cap kit, get a second battery. others will also help in this area.
    Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

i ve got amp for sale if you need one
      sigpic
      1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

Im running a pair of Rockford Fosgate Punch HX2 12's rated for 1000w each in 1.25 cu ft boxes on the sides of the trunk, 1400W legacy amp.

Ive got cheap pioneers in the rear deck running off the head unit

head unit is a Kenwood KDC-MPV622, have an active Power Acoustic crossover.

Front speakers are Rockford Fosgate Fanatic Q 5 1/4" pushed by a 300W Jensen amp, ive got the 5.25's in the door and i have the separate tweeters mounted in the angle pods at the top of the door panel.
        http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
        http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Originally posted by DuceAnAHalf
          Im running a pair of Rockford Fosgate Punch HX2 12's rated for 1000w each in 1.25 cu ft boxes on the sides of the trunk, 1400W legacy amp.

Ive got cheap pioneers in the rear deck running off the head unit

head unit is a Kenwood KDC-MPV622, have an active Power Acoustic crossover.

Front speakers are Rockford Fosgate Fanatic Q 5 1/4" pushed by a 300W Jensen amp, ive got the 5.25's in the door and i have the separate tweeters mounted in the angle pods at the top of the door panel.
          How do you like that RF stuff? I have a friend up at work who loves it. I looked at some Power 12s a long time ago, but I think they were way out of my price range. Few hundred bucks, each.

Comment

I have Boston Acoustics 3.5" in the dash, Rockford Fosgate 6.5" in the doors (free!!), Kenwood 3 way 6x9 in the back deck (had them from a previous car) and 2 12" pioneers in a bandpass in the trunk powered off a 600w Kenwood amp (both from previous car). HU is a lower end Kenwood mp3 player that cost me about $150 2.5 years ago.

Truck has stock GM door speakers, unremembered 1" tweeters from I dont remember where in the dash run through the crossovers that came with them. HU is a JvC Mp3 player I got on sale about 6 years ago for $130. Amp is a 90w Alpine run into a single JL 10". It works great, sounds quite impressive for being low budget, and has never once given me problems. I like the JVC better than the Kenwood honestly, but pulling the dash in the S10 is a pain in the ass, and the Kenwood matches the blue lights in the Townie better so I'll leave it be.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by JumboFriendly
              How do you like that RF stuff? I have a friend up at work who loves it. I looked at some Power 12s a long time ago, but I think they were way out of my price range. Few hundred bucks, each.

Mine are several years old (about 4-5) ive heard the newer fosgate Punch's are shit. My subs retail for $300 each but i paid $150 each (a friend of the family knew a local distributor, wholesale pricing FTW)

They have been good to me, i run a sealed box so it is harder to over extend them which helps longevity, also not running 100% volume all the time helps also.
              http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
              http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Durabrand head unit (I'm a cheapass, but this thing works good)
                Lightning audio 6.5" 3-ways in the front doors (120 Watt)
                Roadmaster 6X9's in the rear deck (220 Watt)
                V3 200 Watt amp
                10" Pioneer sub (600 Watt)

It all sounds good, can't hear the sub outside the car but thumps nice inside, which is the way I wanted it, I don't much care to hear other peoples music 3 miles away lol
                Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

i have earthquake 12" subs and earthquake 5.25's in the dash, 6.5's in the door, and 6x9's in the rear deck......2 amps.....a 2 channel for the subs, and a 4 channel for the mids......and 2 tweeters running off the head unit....all other speakers go thru rca's into the amps

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                  X