Taking all 4 cats off Need insight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking all 4 cats off Need insight

Will this improve my gas mileage or make it hell?? Jus curious because i would think it'll improve it because of better flow which in turn you do not need to mash the gas as hard.. But catylitic converters may help your gas mileage im not really sure.. Ne help would b great.

If the converters are in good shape there wont be much if any differance if replaced with a pipe. Gutting a converter and reinstalling will cost you some economy.
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I gutted mine and got like 2mpg better. It sounded funny until I got my flowmasters put on, now its all good. Not sure what year your car is but if its 95+ you'll need o2 eliminators or a tune. Gutting the cats just allows for future upgrades. Before any mods on my TC she was getting 23mpg on the highway, after 27mpg. Im sure it will change when I get my 3:55's in tho.
      Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

keep your cats! unless they are bad, your car will stink like hell, and every time you come to a stop all the fumes will enter your cabin [if you have your outside air on, or the windows down.] I just put my cats back on for this very reason.
        1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

Originally posted by 89LincolnTWNcar
          keep your cats! unless they are bad, your car will stink like hell, and every time you come to a stop all the fumes will enter your cabin [if you have your outside air on, or the windows down.] I just put my cats back on for this very reason.
          Never had that problem without cats unless it was tuned wrong. Now I have had some rotten egg smelly cats.
          Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

im gettn the mufflers put on at the same time.. And i have a 93 but i know some1 that does emmissions.. Or i may jus get two taken off cause the 93 has 4..

Comment

89LTC, I don't have cats, and I hardly ever have a problem with the smell, even tho my exhaust ends up in front of the rear axle. It does stink a little when I floor it, but that's all. Your exhaust exist all the way back at the rear bumper, right? You shouldn't be getting any smoke in the cab then.

Comment

Originally posted by bigd41190
                Will this improve my gas mileage or make it hell?? Jus curious because i would think it'll improve it because of better flow which in turn you do not need to mash the gas as hard.. But catylitic converters may help your gas mileage im not really sure.. Ne help would b great.
                How many O2 sensors do you have man? If you only have two that are before all the cats you'll be alright, but if you have 4 (new cars are like that, dunno what year yours is) when you whack the cats you'll have to cheat the ECM with some tuner like Zack did.

Comment

i have a 1993 grand marquis

Comment

IIRC the early 4.6 engines only have two O2 sensors, before all cats too -> you can take all the cats out and the ECM will never know it :evil:

Comment

Yup, 94 and older you can gut em no problem
                      Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Working...
                      X