Replaced my PI intake on my 03 and a problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replaced my PI intake on my 03 and a problem

I put everything back together and it runs.... But now I noticed a clicking sound in my speakers and the engine stutters along with the clicking sound.. when I put it in drive it starts stuttering really bad still with the clicking sound... I checked around and dont see anything wrong. It seems to be something with electrical..

I just noticed that my pops dident put the spark plug boots back in the numbered order I marked on them.. is this the cause of the stalling?

Comment

More than likely, yes. They develop a type of memory and may not connect properly to another plug. Sounds odd but had it happen at the shop. also check to make sure all the fuel injectors are seated properly, sounds like you might be hearing the nijector firing, but the fuel is not going where it is supposed to be going.
      "Owning a 9-second Import is like coming out of the closet.... At first it may be surprising, but in the end, you're still gay!"

www.myspace.com/nascarmechanic

Comment

Ok so what is making that static click in my speakers? Is it because the alternator is being confused by the misfiring of the cylinders?

Comment

Cylinders 1 & 2 are misfiring, could that be from the boots, or from the injectors.

Comment

Probably the plug wires arcing making the noise in the speakers, same cause for the misfire. Hmm, doesn't a 2003 use coil on plug? There should be no wires if thats the case, but the boots must be in good shape or it will leak spark out to the head and cause stumbling and static in the radio.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If I understand correctly, yes the coils have plugs that click on.

I have no idea why 1 & 2 are misfiring, maybe my pops put too much dialectric grease in the boots, or maybe I dident gap the spark plugs right.. How will I fix this mess?

Comment

Check all connections, first.
                Next, look for coolant in the plug wells. Use compressed air to blow any out.

Now, I know the 99+ uscar EV6 fuel injector conecotrs are tricky - you may have broken one. Check the injector connector on #1 and #2. If broken, you can use a zip tie to 'rig it'

If that doesn't solve it; next I'd swap the #1 and #2 Cops with 2 other cylinders and chek the boots for cracks.

If the misfire(s) move to the other cylinders, your 2 coils are messed up.
                If not check the boots for cracks again, and the plug connecotrs for a solid connection. Replace if needed. Then look into plug issues, etc.
                Last edited by drock96marquis; 02-10-2007, 04:34 AM.
                -My Homepage, Panther info & FAQs-
                My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis LSE -
                Modifications
                Click My Merc for more Pics!

Comment

Originally posted by drock96marquis
                  Check all connections, first.
                  Next, look for coolant in the plug wells. Use compressed air to blow any out.

Now, I know the 99+ uscar EV6 fuel injector conecotrs are tricky - you may have broken one. Check the injector connector on #1 and #2. If broken, you can use a zip tie to 'rig it'

If that doesn't solve it; next I'd swap the #1 and #2 Cops with 2 other cylinders and chek the boots for cracks.

If the misfire(s) move to the other cylinders, your 2 coils are messed up.
                  If not check the boots for cracks again, and the plug connecotrs for a solid connection. Replace if needed. Then look into plug issues, etc.
                  Facts:

Car never had problems with this before..

When I was removing one of the coils, the boot disconnected revealing the coil spring, and leaving the boot connected to the spark plug, I put it back together.

I cleaned all the injectors with alcohol..

I gapped the spark plugs to the recomended gap listed under the hood.

Also.. how do I know where cylinder 1&2 are?

Comment

Your boots are shot on your Coil packs, just replace them.
                    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Just the boots?

Comment

Originally posted by Sphinx
                        I just noticed that my pops dident put the spark plug boots back in the numbered order I marked on them.. is this the cause of the stalling?
                        I forgot to mention I switched them all back shortly after I posted that, and its still acting up.

Comment

Once you pull the boots apart like that they are prone to problems.....If you have not replaced them in awhile now is the time to do so....You can get aftermarket hi po boots they are out there.I am not in a place to give you firing order. So if you need it on Mon I can get it...
                          President He Man Woman Haters Club

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,But rather skid in broadside,Thourghly used up totaly worn out & loudly proclaiming...WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!

http://www.myspace.com/dabearsplace

Comment

Originally posted by Datdambear
                            Once you pull the boots apart like that they are prone to problems.....If you have not replaced them in awhile now is the time to do so....You can get aftermarket hi po boots they are out there.I am not in a place to give you firing order. So if you need it on Mon I can get it...
                            4.6 firing order is the same as 351W firing order: 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8

And I'm pretty sure the cylinders are numbered the same way as well. 1-4 front to back on the passenger side bank, 5-8 front to back on the driver side bank.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                            1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                            But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

i always replace all 8 boots on coil on plug modular engines whenever i change the spark plugs

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                              X