engine freshening suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine freshening suggestions

I came into an HO from a late 80s Mark 7 for next to nothing, and I want to freshen it up a bit before i drop it in the Town Car. It has 123k and runs like a clock right now, but I'd like to do the bottom end over. I was thinking oil pump, main bearings, front and rear crank seals and maybe timing chain while I have the cover off. I'll also do valve cover gaskets and whatever else may be leaking once I get the engine out and have a good look at it. Anything else I should take care of before installing it?
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Might as well do the rod bearings if you are going to do the mains. A valve job and new valve springs would be nice if you can swing it. Rings too if you take the heads off. It all depends on how far you want to go. If the engine runs now, you might want to do a compression test or leak down test.

My Mustang had 100,000 miles on it and when I swapped another set of heads on it, I changed the timing chain. It sucked a piece of timing cover gasket into the oil pump shortly after I put the heads on it. I put in a new oil pump and oil pan gasket. My rings and bearings have not been touched, but if I had a chance to do it over again, I probably would change them.

Tom

Comment

I was gonna do all the bottom end bearings. Rod and main. SHould have been more clear on that. I don't really want to pull the heads off, but probably it wouldn't be a bad idea to pull a compression test on it.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
      X