A new guy with a 351W header question??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new guy with a 351W header question??

I'm new here, this looks like an awesome site.

I just bought a 81 LTD 2dr this past weekend. It has a very tired 302 in it and an AOD that won't shift out of first gear. I've also got a 75 E250 hightop camper van with a stock rebuilt 351W/C6.

I bought this LTD to swap my 351W/C6 into it. I'm on a limited budget right now so I plan to swap in the motor and trany and get the car on the road. Then as I get more cash I'll add the performance parts to it.

My question is I want a pair of full length headers on this. I want to do this right away when I swap the engine and trans in so I don't have to do the exhaust twice(no exhuast on it right now ). I have no clue what headers will fit this car. Will a 67-73 Mustang header fit? or a Fox Stang swap header?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Ted

Welcome!

I have never heard of anyone with longtubes on any engine combo, let along a 351W. Im sure you could get creative with a hammer if you got some that fit close, but noone knows.

Bet bet would be to get some mustang shorties and they would fit good.

Once again, welcome and glad to see another 2dr owner! :rock:
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

GMGT Thanks for the welcome! I love your car!

I was hoping someone found a set that would fit. Oh well I guess I'll just find a cheap pair of SBF V8 headers and cut and weld them until I get them to fit. I like full length headers and I like fabricating. I was just hoping there was something that would bolt in.

Comment

Thanx mang! How did you find us? Im doing a 351W swap, so I know all too well

I like to fabricate myself, but ill prob go with shorties and an x-pipe for now.

PS Side exhaust is really cool on 2drs

Comment

I found this site while serching yahoo trying to find some pics of a modified 2 dr LTD/GM/CV's. Then I saw the pics of your car in your sig on one of your post. And your car is what I wanted to do to mine. The only difference is I want to completely black my car out and I'm going to add a Boss 429 hood scoop. I ike little hood scoops!!

My plans for the exhaust are full length headers, universal X-pipe, Hooker Aero-Chamber mufflers(sitting on a shelf in my garage right now ) and some turn outs right in front of the rear wheels.

Hey I like the lifted rear of your car! Was that done with just the air shocks or did the wagon coils lift it some too?

If you can't tell I'm fairly new to the GM/CV/LTD's. I had a 85 CV 4 dr a few years back and had a blast with it. When I decided to swap my Windsor into something I wanted to find a 2dr GM/CV. It wasn't easy! This is only the second 2dr I've seen in this area in the past 5 or 6 years.

Comment

hey welcome to gmn! glad you found us!
            i dont think the 351 stang conversion full tube headers are going to fit at all.......someone tried longtubes on a 302 vic once and i believe he gave up trying to get them to fit
            shorty headers for a mustang and a mustang h or x pipe for a 351 should fit nice (you can use a mustang 302 h by widening the h section)
            check recent posts for what mid pipes i found to work well
            good luck!
            scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Thanks for the welcome Scott!

I really want to run full length headers in this. If I have to I'll fab up a set from scratch. It's just a lot more time and effort doing it this way. I'm also considering maybe going with a fenderwell style header if I need to. I guess I'll have to see what kind of room I'm working with once I drop the engine in.

Comment

I am not sure if full lengh headers will fit the CV but they are deffently a good choise, i would deffently pic them over the shorties.
                Xander

1987 ford mustang

the Camaro isn\'t around anymore because it was a poorly built POS that only big hair rocker wanna-be\'s bought.

Donate a 351

I dont give a shit what you have to say

Comment

My first box was an '85 CV 4door too!

Well, I got the lift first with air shocks, then with HD cargo coils for an 84 colony park wagon, it would hold that stance without the shocks even connected! I have KYBs in the rear now. Also, try to find a rear swaybar. They def help handling out!

if you have any 2dr related questions as well, make sure to check out the GMN couple connection, or feel free to email me..

GMGT

Comment

im putting mid legnth headers on a 351W in mine not sure if they will fit or not yet but i have a hammer and a welder :chainsaw: :hotwrench:

http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Just curious duce, what application are those headers for?

Comment

Now I could live with those! Are those early stang 351W swap headers? They kind of look like Hedmans.

Comment

they are summit brand 302 headers for a fox mustang
                          http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...-G9030&x=3&y=8
                          i think they will require the conversion to a floor shifter
                          http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                          http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Thanks. The shifter isn't a problem for me I was planning on using my B&M Pro-stick shifter anyways.

Comment

welcome, your car is my cars sister fordman! when you finnish that motor swap, its gonna be a bad ass car! get some pics posted!

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Working...
                              X