A new Townie owner!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new Townie owner!

This is my car. I bought it last winter from an old gentleman. It had a plethora of strange problems when I purchased it.

This is what I've fixed on it so far
    1. Power Window Motors replaced (2)
    2. Front end swap
    3. New ignition (used to top out at 80mph)
    4. 1 new 19lb/h injector (the other 7 already were)
    5. MAF conversion, using an A9L
    6. New fuel pump (used a new mustang one to save costs)
    7. New cheapy tires
    8. Disconnected front anti-roll bar
    9. Open exhaust (catalytic converters were broken and scattered)
    10. Replaced Broken Lights
    11. Lost wheel cover
    12. Replaced Power Mirrors

I really like the car. When I first got it, it would deliver very reliable 9-11 mpg no matter what. I finally figured out some dumbass put seven 19lb/h injectors in it. I replaced the last 14lb/h and converted it to MAF. This summer I took it to an AutoCross event and did reasonably well for what it is. I had a heck of a time. I took a passenger along for one run, and while his was laughing hysterically the rearview mirror jumped off the window and attacked him haha. Probobly the best memory of this car.

Future plans are:
    1. Tripminder installation (in the mail)
    2. Some aerodynamic modifications for better gas milage
    3. Electric fan
    4. Turbine Wheels
    5. Fresh Paint (Black, or Black with Gold Metal Flake)
    6. Traction lock rear end (maybe)
    7. New Exhuast (maybe)

::EDIT::

I also own a 1967 Honda CB400F, a 1995 Honda Civic with a turbocharged, built, B-16 putting out over 300 horsepower, at the wheels.
    Last edited by red91sit; 02-18-2007, 04:44 PM.

welcome mang very nice townie this is the place for panthers

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
    302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
    k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Welcome, mang! Always good to see another Minnesotan on the board. That's a beautiful Townie! Are we gonna get to see more pictures of it?

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
      1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
      But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

How much are you willing to do for those aerodynamic benefits? I'm currently in a Motorsports Vehicle Aerodynamics graduate course, and I've been working on a pretty good list of things to improve aerodynamics. Not a whole lot is good for the looks or ease of working on the car, but they can help a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic
          How much are you willing to do for those aerodynamic benefits? I'm currently in a Motorsports Vehicle Aerodynamics graduate course, and I've been working on a pretty good list of things to improve aerodynamics. Not a whole lot is good for the looks or ease of working on the car, but they can help a lot.
          Hmm, funny you asked, I'm VERY willing to do more for better gas mileage (as long as they are not permemant) So far I have done a complete grill block, and smoothed out the underbody of the cars up to the exhuast pipes. After this I'm rather puzzled on waht to do, I'm thinking i'll have to attach it to the frame rails (boo) In the future, I'm going to try some different noses on it, as well as a few monstrously ugly cardboard boat tails. The rear wheel wells will get covered up to improve their flow, and I'll be trying out some wheel spolilers.

When i first got it (since been fixed)

The MAF conversion, ecu still sitting there haha.

It's really hard to get pictures of the underbody paneling

Comment

For some reason i can't edit that last post?

But anywho, I have more pictures here

My Pictures

Comment

That's about all the the best unaesthetic affecting improvements. Sealing the remaining portion of the underbody will significantly help. Still not sure what to do about the rear axle my self. My roommate and I were discussing turning it into an inverted air foil while sealing the underbody around it.

Make sure all your body panel seams line up well.
              You can slope the grill from the top of the bumper to the top of the grill. Since you are only doing the center section of the header panel, it'll probably only be about a 2-4% reduction in drag. Doing the entire front could reduce as much as 10-13%.

Boat tailing the greenhouse as well as the 1/4 panels will help. However, boat tailing the 1/4 panels will need to be done with Plexiglas or it will be illegal. For the boat tailing don't go any more than 15 degrees. Should result in about a .01 point reduction in Cd.

You can actually install a rear spoiler that will help reduce drag, and improve downforce. 20 degrees of vertical, with a length of about 3/4" in height. Should result in about a 0.03 point reduction in the Cd number.

I'm attaching a copy of my Notes from a few classes back, it's mostly on drag reduction. Make sure to take not of where some things are specific to hatch backs and fastbacks. Everything you've done so far and I've mentioned is for sedans.

http://www.grandmarq.net/blaze/Blaze...of%20Autos.pdf
              Last edited by Blaze86Vic; 02-18-2007, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Welcome to GMN mang. That's a nice TC ya got there, would make a nice HO conversion candidate. I suggest selling the Civic and using the money to fix up the TC, mainly because I hate Civics with every fiber of my being, nut you can do whatever you want with your shit. Again,
                88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic
                  That's about all the the best unaesthetic affecting improvements. Sealing the remaining portion of the underbody will significantly help. Still not sure what to do about the rear axle my self. My roommate and I were discussing turning it into an inverted air foil while sealing the underbody around it.

Make sure all your body panel seams line up well.
                  You can slope the grill from the top of the bumper to the top of the grill. Since you are only doing the center section of the header panel, it'll probably only be about a 2-4% reduction in drag. Doing the entire front could reduce as much as 10-13%.

Boat tailing the greenhouse as well as the 1/4 panels will help. However, boat tailing the 1/4 panels will need to be done with Plexiglas or it will be illegal. For the boat tailing don't go any more than 15 degrees. Should result in about a .01 point reduction in Cd.

You can actually install a rear spoiler that will help reduce drag, and improve downforce. 20 degrees of vertical, with a length of about 3/4" in height. Should result in about a 0.03 point reduction in the Cd number.

I'm attaching a copy of my Notes from a few classes back, it's mostly on drag reduction. Make sure to take not of where some things are specific to hatch backs and fastbacks. Everything you've done so far and I've mentioned is for sedans.

http://www.grandmarq.net/blaze/Blaze...of%20Autos.pdf
                  Wow! I LOVE these notes. I'm only on the second page, but the diagrams you have are GREAT. I was wondering if it would be alright with me sharing them with the users of www.gassavers.org ? There are a lot of individuals over there who would be as excited by this as I am. This is my idea of some modifications i could make http://www.freewebs.com/red91sit/lincoln/aeromaybe.jpg The front end would be easily removeable, sort of a highway nose haha.

The first who comes to mind is Basjoos, getting a good 70 mpg with this machine

Originally posted by 88Vic
                  Welcome to GMN mang. That's a nice TC ya got there, would make a nice HO conversion candidate. I suggest selling the Civic and using the money to fix up the TC, mainly because I hate Civics with every fiber of my being, nut you can do whatever you want with your shit. Again,
                  lol, sorry to hear that.

I do love the TC. It's great at what it was designed to do, there is nothing else I would rather take across country. The Civic's the performance/summer car. The idea of trying to make the Lincoln fast does not entice me, it would never be as willing as the Civic. The only upgrades I do to it are to get it running right. An HO upgrade would be easy (already have the wiring & Injectors) but not in the budget unless the lopo dies. I mostly want it for when I start a family. The kids can plug in their crazy high-tech toys in the back seat with their own individual power receptacles. The best part will be riding slow up to their soccer practice woot woot.:megadeth:
                  I'm also thinking it could be collectable in the future?

BTW Thank you everyone for the VERY friendly welcomes!! I'm afraid you'll be seeing a lot more posts from me in the future haha.
                  Last edited by red91sit; 02-19-2007, 01:50 AM.

Comment

I just can't imagine having that much fun in a FWD car, ever since my Vic FWD has just lost all appeal. And it's a Civic().

Comment

Originally posted by red91sit
                      This is my idea of some modifications i could make http://www.freewebs.com/red91sit/lincoln/aeromaybe.jpg The front end would be easily removeable, sort of a highway nose haha.
                      You are too high, you can go at least 2" lower than that and still not bottom out, just a matter of right springs/shocks. I do like the front clip idea tho, it's kinda weird but not in a bad way.

88vic, have you driven at least mildly modified Civic? I'm not too fond of fwd either, but my buddies Jeff and Mike both have late-'90s Civic coupes with just the typical bolt-on upgrades (coilovers, wheels, swaybars) and these things are a total blast to drive.

Comment

Yes sir, you will find many a :rice: hater here. We will pay the extra fuel bill, just so whe can have a real damn car!

Welcome to the party!
                        2008 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Bone Stock

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Comment

Yeah you can post that where you want. My planned aero mods are for performance more than mileage. Reducing drag is a mutual benifit. But I'm also looking to have some decent downforce.

Comment

Originally posted by MeLikeyStripperChicks
                            88vic, have you driven at least mildly modified Civic? I'm not too fond of fwd either, but my buddies Jeff and Mike both have late-'90s Civic coupes with just the typical bolt-on upgrades (coilovers, wheels, swaybars) and these things are a total blast to drive.
                            I have driven a stock Civic, which IMO isn't fun to drive, and I have driven a modified Accord which handled the about the same as a modified Civic would. And honestly, I didn't think they were very fun to drive. I just like the way RWD feels, it's more balanced. The Vic may have been a bit slower, but it was more fun to hotrod around in.

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic
                              I have driven a stock Civic, which IMO isn't fun to drive, and I have driven a modified Accord which handled the about the same as a modified Civic would. And honestly, I didn't think they were very fun to drive. I just like the way RWD feels, it's more balanced. The Vic may have been a bit slower, but it was more fun to hotrod around in.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                              1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                              But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Working...
                              X