New guy with a 81 LTD 2dr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New guy with a 81 LTD 2dr

I posted a question in the 5.0/5.8 tech forum but thought I'd also post in the 2dr forum.

I just picked up a 81 LTD 2dr this past weekend. It has a tired 302 in it and an AOD that won't shift out of first gear. I've also got a 75 E250 hightop camper van with a stock rebuilt 351W/C6.

I bought this LTD to swap my 351W/C6 into it. I'm on a limited budget right now so I plan to swap in the motor and trany and get the car on the road. Then as I get more cash I'll add the performance parts to it.

My LTD needs some work but I think it'll turn out pretty cool. I bought it off ebay. If you want to see a couple pics of it the link for the auction is below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...950256204&rd=1

The list of future mods are as follows:

The 351W/C6 swap
    Full length headers(sounds like they will be custom fabbed units )
    2 1/2" universal X-pipe
    Hooker Aero Chamber Mufflers
    Turn outs the exit just in front of the rear tires.
    Lift the rear
    295 BFG radial T/A's on 15x8 1/2" steel rims(stock style widened rims with dog dish caps )
    black out all the trim and bumpers
    Tint the windows, taillights and parking lights
    Add a Boss 429 scoop
    remove all the stock seats
    mount in a pair of 92 Cougar buckets seats I've got.

And eventually the engine will get:
    Performer RPM air-gap intake
    750 cfm Performer carb
    Perfromer RPM aluminum heads
    Comp 280 Magnum cam
    Comp cams roller rockers
    And Possibly a NOS fogger system.

Damn you got a deal!

Comment

It's been sitting for 4 years. It needs brake work and the rear bumper needs to be changed. But overall I'm really happy with it. I've wanted a 2dr GM/CV for quite a while.

I've got a couple other daily drivers so this is strictly going to be a toy. Something I can build and drive the hell out of it!

Comment

Wow dude, you did get an awesome deal!!!

I see you are going with a magnum 280H bumpstick as well. I plan on going with on in my 351W too. Should be a fun project!!!
        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Yep it should be a fun project. I love the sound of the engine with that cam! I've used one in the past. now I just need to come up with some $$ to pay some bills then I can start buying the parts I need.

Comment

Sad thing is, you will prob have your swap done before I do mine, lol...

Comment

I doubt it I've got a lot of bills! I need to get some new motor mounts and the right oil pan before I can even start on the swap. But it'll get done eventually.

Comment

302 motor mounts work.

and also, the oilpan you need is the same one I got. Its the ford racing fox chassis swap pan. but you also said you got the motor out of a van, what does the oilpan look like?

Comment

Yep I know about the mounts but the ones in the LTD now are crap.

The van oil pan is a rear sump pan but it's more like a 4x4 truck pan then the dual sump. So I didn't think it would clear the crossmember.

Comment

Yeah you are right. I got a 4X4 pan laying around and its different from the fox pan, i think i got a pic somewhere...

Comment

I'm going to get the fox swap pan kit when I get the $$. I'm just trying to find the place that sells it for the lowest amount. Summit Racing has it for $140.00. The last time I bought one it was $119.95. What's the price from Ford racing?

Comment

very nice car!...jus get rid of the bench seat!

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

The bench is definately going!! I've got a 92 Cougar I'm stripping out. The bucket seats out of that will be going in. And I'm thinking about modifing the Cougars console and use that too. Then I'll mount my B&M Pro-stick shifter to the console.

Comment

Wow, I agree, you got a deal! Hows the rust situation? And where are you located. I see the auction was from WI.

Good luck with the project.

Comment

The outer body shell has one small area that is rusted thru on the one rear 1/4. And the passenger side door has a couple silver dollar sized surface rust spots. The rear bumper is completely rotted away. But so far the frame and floors look good.

I'm in Minnesota about a half hour south of the Twin Cities. It was about 220 mile round trip to go pick up the car.

Comment

Working...
                              X