Howling sound at 55 Mph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howling sound at 55 Mph

Okay so back right before my rear end went out.. It would hum loudly around 55 MPH, I recently got the rear end switched to 3.73 Posi.. And it still whines... at around 55 MPH The guy who put it in said he would check it out, and see if he could ajust the gears around a little bit to see if thats the problem... What im worried about.. "Could that be the transmission?"

doubt it, Im gonna try to find a really nice shop to set up my rear end. I don't want to plunk down all this money to go down the shitter.
    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

it could be, but lets hope it isn't
      2000 MGM LS

Comment

If the bearings in the rear are bad, that could be part of the noise, but I'll bet the gears aren't quite right. Did you go with Ford gears or aftermarkets? Some aftermarket are hard/impossible to get perfect and just make noise. Its also possible you got a bad gear set, it happens.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The backlash and pinion depth probably are not adjusted correctly.
          -My Homepage, Panther info & FAQs-
          My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis LSE -
          Modifications
          Click My Merc for more Pics!

Comment

Originally posted by drock96marquis
            The backlash and pinion depth probably are not adjusted correctly.
            I would have to agree with you pinion and backlash.....I have had jasper rears that come in not set right...
            President He Man Woman Haters Club

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,But rather skid in broadside,Thourghly used up totaly worn out & loudly proclaiming...WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!

http://www.myspace.com/dabearsplace

Comment

Ok so, what do I do to fix it? Ask the guy that put it in.

It's an Eden Posi.

Comment

Originally posted by Sphinx
                Ok so, what do I do to fix it? Ask the guy that put it in.

It's an Eden Posi.
                I would....you should have some warranty

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,But rather skid in broadside,Thourghly used up totaly worn out & loudly proclaiming...WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!

Comment

2 Year Warranty

Comment

Originally posted by Sphinx
                    2 Year Warranty
                    Take it back tell him what you hear....You are the customer...

Comment

Just a slight possibility.....tranny tail cone bushing? any drips back there? More than likely gears or bearings?

Comment

Working...
                      X