X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Wiring

Maybe this is the Forum:
    Hi,
    I'm finally doing the cable upgrades to the alternator and starting circuit of my 91 5.0.

My question is:
    The small wire coming from the the fender-mounted relay to the starter. It terminates at the starter with a push-on clip.
    Can this be improved upon?
    (I would like to put a much larger wire if i can).

Also, does this wire have a fusible link?

Thanks,

I don't think that moves any amps to worry about. Just make sure you have fatty batt cables and alt wire and all should be good..
    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

isn't this question somewhere else on here? I have been drinking, maybe its just alcohol deja-vu
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Bwhahahaa! no its in 5.0, 5.8 as well thain.
        Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Originally posted by p71towny
          I don't think that moves any amps to worry about. Just make sure you have fatty batt cables and alt wire and all should be good..
          Actually, it moves enough current to fry the stock start switch if you bypass the relay and try to run current directly from the switch to the starter solenoid (ask me how I know). Of course, that may not be of much concern elsewhere in the circuitry if everything's stock.

If the starting circuits are suspect, it should be pretty easy to rewire them with heavier-gauge wires and/or an aftermarket relay if you want to, even with the stock dash in place. Just don't bypass the neutral safety switch if you're going racing or anyone else cares if it's operational. All I needed was to putter around town and break in the new motor, so I just ran a 10-gauge wire straight from battery +12 to a pushbutton start switch from NAPA and back to the starter solenoid. Once you have the wiring the way you like, it's easy to insert fusible links or even blade-type fuses wherever you want - say, out on the inner fenderwell where they're easily accessible.
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

lol - so in essense you downgraded the wire in question
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Not really. Look at your stock wire - it's about 14 or 16 gauge.

Comment

I think the wire in question is 10 gauge.

edit: I was referring to when you ran the igntition switch output to the starter's solenoid itself - that was definitly a downgrade. Sounds like its good to go now
                Last edited by 85crownHPP; 02-25-2007, 01:59 AM.
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Whoops, sorry. I'll have to look at my old wiring harness again when I get a chance. The pushbutton is annoying, though, so I'll have to change that eventually.

Comment

Working...
                  X