60,000 miles -- what to get check/adjusted/replaced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

60,000 miles -- what to get check/adjusted/replaced

Taking my 00 MGM in for an oil change (59,900 miles)

What is included in the 60,000 mile service? I may get it if its worth it.

I'm going to get the brake job done too, but they're telling me its $500-$600 to get it fixed (i know a guy who know a guy so i may get it a little cheaper)

anyway, what to get for my 60k service? whats included?
    2000 MGM LS

60,000 i would change the oil and filter, lube the grease fittings if any, lube the door latches and hinges, lube the hood latch, change the trans fluid and filter, check the differential lube, check/replace brakes, check belt and hoses, check tires, shocks, suspension, replace as needed, change the spark plugs and booties, fuel filter, air filter, pcv valve

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Damn scott, you got it. I just wait till spring/summer to lube my hinges cause I like to blast all the grit and old shit out with a pressure washer.
      Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

indeed. i will get on this...excellent....

i don't believe this car has EVER had spark plugs replaced...
        2000 MGM LS

Comment

These platinums are really good plugs, they could go for another 20k easy.
          Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

my mpg has been suckin' bad too.
            2000 MGM LS

Comment

$500-$600 for your brakes sounds like a typical shop estimate. However, you or a trustworthy "shadetree" mechanic could most likely do it for much, much less. The prices on your parts are most likeely being marked up well over 100%. It would be cool if you could get an itemized estimate, and then call autozone or pepboys and ask them what the parts would cost. Even the best lifetime warranty parts from Napa or one of the auto superstores will much likely cost WAY less. If it a matter of you not knowing how to do the work or having the tools, you have options. Buy the book for your car and do it yourself, get that brother-in-law you try to avoid to do it for some brews and a crack rock, or search out an amerature pro. I usually paid my guy $50 per axle or less, as he wasn't a pro but did excellent work. Now I generally do it myself, but recently I wasn't able to because of weather conditions. I bought the new rotors and pads, and had a local tire shop enstal the parts, cost me $50, or one hours labor. Think about going that route, save BIG bucks.
              Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
              Bone stock... for now.

Comment

Those plugs should be good for 100k. Most people I know with 4.6 cars run them till that. I replaced my stockers at 82K.
                2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

100k miles on a plug is a hell of a lot if you ask me. I changed the "100k" plugs on my mom's Blazer at 80k and it picked up 4 mpg. If you change them, make sure you use a bit of dielectric grease on the inside of plug booties to keep them from sticking to the plug and tearing. It also keeps moisture out.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

should be able to pick up bendix rotors and pads from advance front and rear for under 300 bucks......under 200 if you use the store brand brakes and rotors........brake pad and rotor replacement is so easy on the 98-02's that a child could do it.........might not even need the rotors replaced at 60k unless they were run down into the rivets.......have em cut if they are thick enough

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I had nice grooves in my TC at 83k but plenty of meat left on the rotors. Total cost to do brakes myself was about 125. This is using premium pads and quality brake fluid. I flush the entire brake system when I do brakes to avoid future problems. Moisture can be absorbed by brake fluid and a quart of the good stuff like Valvoline Synpower is only 6-7 dollars.

Don't pay 600 bucks for a brake job, that is ridiculously high unless you need rotors, calipers and pads which rarely ever happens on a car with 60k.

Comment

a 00 mgm with only 60k doesnt need plugs

plugs on that car *should* be 100k. you can check on your veci decal, if the part number for the plug includes a P near the end of it, that's a platinum plug which is 100k miles intervals
                        GMNRadio DJ, Podcast Co-Host
                        1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria - Drag Car.
                        99 Ranger 2.5 - Parts hauler and Pit truck.
                        03 Mustang 3.8 Convertable - Head Gaskets fukered up
                        95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

for 500-600 dollars, you better be getting new pads, rotors, calipers, and hoses. And you could buy those parts yourself for under $300 - 2 hours labor tops
                          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                          sigpic
                          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

500-600 for fron't and rear brakes I hope

should only be 250-350 for front pad and rotor job
                            1987 LTD CROWN VICTORIA, 5.0 EFI, MAGNAFLOW DUAL EXH, RED LANDAU
                            FRESH AOD, 3.27 OPEN DIFF, 57K MILES, B&M SHIFT KIT AND R134A A/C

Comment

179.95 per axle at most ferd dealers for pads and machining rotors.

a tad more or less maybe for replacing the rotors. there's less labor charged in replacing a rotor than there is in machining them, but the parts cost increases
                              GMNRadio DJ, Podcast Co-Host
                              1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria - Drag Car.
                              99 Ranger 2.5 - Parts hauler and Pit truck.
                              03 Mustang 3.8 Convertable - Head Gaskets fukered up
                              95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

Working...
                              X