chevy tech question, help needed asap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chevy tech question, help needed asap

had to go out today to get sand for the driveway. i'm going down the road, and i go to accelerate, nothing happens. almost as if the motor stalled, but the motor was still running because i could hear it. but it didn't rev when i put my foot on the go pedal. i dismissed it at first, until i got chebbys version of a cel about a minute later. then it does it again, this time tho the motor did stall. i got the truck to the side of teh road and threw it in neutral. i tried starting it, all it does is crank. and after 4 tries, the battery started dying. what would cause this? oh, for simplicitys sake its an 87 suburban w a 350 tbi.. i know its a chebby but you guys have helped me before. until i get this fixed, i'm without a running vehicle.

more rants in off topic
    Save a seal, club a liberal.

It's probably the TPS sensor is fucked. Thats the only way for teh comp to know to give teh carb more fuel. Thats my theory anyway. You might want to find the operating specs for it, and test it to make sure it is in the proper range.
    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

check for fuel and spark first
      iif no fuel, check fuel pump fuse.....dont just look at it, test it with a testlight
      if fuse is good, go next to relay and check power, no power to relay? bad wiring.......next on to fuel pump.......power at the pump during initial prime?
      (first few secs the key is on).....got power to pump, suspect fuel pump

if no spark
      make sure the hei has power wire hooked up and a good connection
      check for power to coil, if coil gets power, ignition switch and wiring ok
      next replace ignition module.......if still no spark suspect the pickup assembly .......much easier to replace the distributor with a used or raman unit rather than tear apart yours to replace the pickup assy

also make sure the convertor isnt clogged up

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

my mechanic and i are going to try to look over it today. thanks for the tips guys. scott would a clogged converter prevent it from starting tho?
        Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

i think the problem is that bow tie on the grille.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Working...
          X