Super Unknown -- stereo system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Unknown -- stereo system

The more I think about it, the more I want to put a new sound system in the '88. Nothing real big, just better quality.

Currently it has the factory 6-speaker premium sound system. What I'm thinking of doing is . . . .

- stereo with CD player (possibly one that will play MP3's)
    - Pioneer 6x9's in rear deck
    - replace door speakers w/ 6 inchers (I put new 5 1/4" Pioneers in last summer, but I want something a little bigger for the new system)
    - run all new wiring

Anyone have suggestions on a stereo? I want something that will look tastefull and fit well in the dash and not look like shit. Any other suggestions or advice is appreciated. Thanks.

-------------------
    Justin

kenwood and clarion are supposed to be good for the money. Id go with Alpine myself, if you can swing $300+ for a head unit.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I have 3 threads about car stereo stuff. Check them out and if you need any more help or if something that you want to know about wasent covered let me know!
      2008 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Bone Stock

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Comment

Cool. I'll check 'em out. Thanks.

Comment

Where do you run the wire to get to the rear speakers from the stereo?

-----------------
          Justin

Comment

The wiring to the rear speakers should be run under the trim pieces that cover the edge of the carpet in the door sills. This is where manufacturers runs most of their front to rear wiring in the passanger compartment.
            All stock \'87 GM--except for the sound system! Alpine V-drive CD deck, Infinity Kappa separates up front, Blaupunkt coaxials in back, Alpine V12 5 channel amp in the trunk, with a 12\" Rockford dual voice coil sub. All this with complete high quality custom wiring. Kaboom!

Comment

Circular speakers sound better than eliptical speakers (ie 6x9s). I put 6.5"ers in the 6x9 holes in the rear deck by buying some adapters from Crutchfield. They are only a couple of bucks.
              All stock \'87 GM--except for the sound system! Alpine V-drive CD deck, Infinity Kappa separates up front, Blaupunkt coaxials in back, Alpine V12 5 channel amp in the trunk, with a 12\" Rockford dual voice coil sub. All this with complete high quality custom wiring. Kaboom!

Comment

Originally posted by GrandmasCar
                The wiring to the rear speakers should be run under the trim pieces that cover the edge of the carpet in the door sills. This is where manufacturers runs most of their front to rear wiring in the passanger compartment.
                I usually run them under the driverseat carpet. Away form any thing that could introduce noise. If the facory wires are in good shape use them!

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandmasCar
                  Circular speakers sound better than eliptical speakers (ie 6x9s). I put 6.5"ers in the 6x9 holes in the rear deck by buying some adapters from Crutchfield. They are only a couple of bucks.
                  BITE ME!!! 6x9's can handle far more power than any 6 1/2. The sound differental is only noticable if you are seting right next to the damn speaker, and then it is negligable! I have had this conversation before, DON'T MAKE ME GO THERE!!!!! :asshat:

Welcome to GMN GrandmasCar!!!!!!!!!

Comment

blazingstang, I read in one of your posts to use 12 ga. wire. How big of a role does the gauge of wire play in a stereo system? When I wired my trucks' system I used 18 ga.

Btw, your other stereo threads were really helpful.

--------------
                    Justin

Comment

Originally posted by blazingstang
                      If the facory wires are in good shape use them!

ok, DO NOT use your existing speaker wiring whatever the shape, the factory wiring uses a common ground and cannot handle much of anything. I learned this the hard way.
                      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                      sigpic
                      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by monterey1962
                        blazingstang, I read in one of your posts to use 12 ga. wire. How big of a role does the gauge of wire play in a stereo system? When I wired my trucks' system I used 18 ga.
                        --------------
                        Justin
                        12 ga or bigger for subs... normal speaker will be fine with 18ga unless they are high power speakers.
                        Just run your own new wires and you'll be fine.
                        sigpic

Comment

I ran 12 for ALL my speakers...
                          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Here's what I found today:

Head units:
                            Alpine ~ $170
                            Sony ~ $130
                            Clarion ~ $180
                            Pioneer ~ $190

at Walmart:
                            Pioneer ~$110
                            JVC ~$135
                            Sony ~110

I'm thinking that the "cost-effective" way for me to go is going to be Sony.
                            Sony 6.5" ~ $60
                            Sony 6x9" ~ $70

I'll have to think about this one.

1. Can 6.5" speakers fit in the doors? Will they interfere with the door panel or anything inside the door? I can't remember right off hand.

2. Is there a certain installation kit for the head unit that works good with our cars (i.e. one at Walmart?)?

-----------------------
                            Justin

Comment

2. You don't need an installation kit

The frame that the radio has will use bolts from the previous radio. The opening is the exact same size as the stock unit.

Comment

Working...
                              X