Car Half-Dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Half-Dead

So the Merc died yesterday morning; the battery finally went (it was super old). I replaced the battery last night, and it started up OK, but the idle goes back and forth from really high to really low (almost stalling). I figure that's probably the fuel filter...when I drove it this morning, the turn signal doesn't blink (just stays on) and I can't run the radio with lights and a turn signal (it cuts out and goes dark when I try). The turn signal has always been slow, and my driver's side headlight blows out more than it should. Any ideas on what this electrical bug might be?
    89 Grand Marquis LS with 107K miles (as of 1/13/07). As proof of my undying love, I've invested:
    - New exhaust
    - Front brakes
    - Rebuilt tranny
    - New vinyl top
    - Alternator & Battery
    - And still going.

What about your battery cables and alt wiring. Sounds like low power, or bad grounds. Check the simple stuff mang. Sometimes you cant even see the corrosion because its insinde the cables insulation.
    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

yeah, power isnt getting through... either your alternator is dying or you got some bad connections
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I had a bad voltage regulator, it was running off the battery so my battery would die frequently. Does your battery light come on? Even if it doesn't it might be going. Take it to a parts store and have it tested. I heard from somewhere that you have to let your year's car has to relearn the idle. When you put a new battery in, you have to run it without anything else on for five minutes. Or it will take longer for it to relearn the idle. I heard it from Crownvic.net. Hope you find your problem. Good luck.

Comment

If you need new cables I would recommend some 1/0 cables , go to your local welding store and have them crimp ends on it for you if you don't have any thing to crimp cable lugs with (a vice will work). If you are having problems with your Alt, I would suggest upgrading to 3G alternator also

Comment

Bad grounds is my vote. Make sure the cables are in good shape, and the connection from the battery to the rad support is present and in good condition. I would also pull the connections at the starter relay and clean them all.

1/0 is way overkill 99% of the time. Standard 4 gauge cable is plenty.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
              Bad grounds is my vote. Make sure the cables are in good shape, and the connection from the battery to the rad support is present and in good condition. I would also pull the connections at the starter relay and clean them all.

1/0 is way overkill 99% of the time. Standard 4 gauge cable is plenty.
              If you do clean the connections, make sure you hook them up in the correct order. Mark them. A mistake that I learned the hard way. (Except in my case it was vacuum lines.)

Comment

You cant really hook them up in the wrong order. 500 wires go to the battery side of the relay, 1 cable to the starter side, and one thin wire. Just remove the connections from one terminal at a time and you'll be good. It is a bit of a pain in the ass getting it all crammed back on that terminal though. My car is especially bad, it has 2 extra connections for the tow package.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Resolved

Looks like it was the alternator. I had to take it to a dealer; none of the independants in my area had anything available until next week, and the car's a daily driver. I hit 'em over the head for the labor though; they charged me 2 hours (criminal) but I made them replace the fuel filter and change the coolant at no additional charge, so I think I broke even.
                  89 Grand Marquis LS with 107K miles (as of 1/13/07). As proof of my undying love, I've invested:
                  - New exhaust
                  - Front brakes
                  - Rebuilt tranny
                  - New vinyl top
                  - Alternator & Battery
                  - And still going.

Comment

Good. Great to hear that it's fixed.

Comment

2 hours labor to change an alternator on a box? good lord. I'd have been swapping to a 3g alternator for all that. Heck I changed an alternator with only one fully usable hand in less than 2 hours.

Comment

Working...
                      X