Back for the First Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back for the First Time

Well,I'm not a Noob or a Guest but,Since I never formally introduced myself when I originally joined this site,and I have been out of the Box Community for a couple of months,I thought would take this chance to introduce myself to those of you who don't allready know me.My name is Brandon,I'm 23,I'm from North Carolina,and I'm a Box Addict,lol.While the majority of the people in the world,and around me,see boxes as a non-sexy,less than desirable,slow lumbering beast of a car,allmost no one would want to drive,I can see the true beauty and grace of these cars.I can honestly say My 87 Box Crown Vic has more appeal to me than a brand new Mustang or Corvette ever would,Insane as that may sound to some people,it's true.

I own a '87 LTD Crown Vic LX,Which I love more than most people would consider normal,Currently is and will continue to be my Daily Driver probibly for the rest of my life,or as long as gasoline exists,I love driving it that much.I got my first Box 87 CV back in 2002 as a birthday present,it was horribly disfigured in a hit and run accident in early 2006,and later sold.My current 87 Vic was bought by me in Apr 2006 from an old couple who did'nt drive it anymore,it was garage kept it whole life and is in excellent condition,the engine runs extremly strong for a 5.0lo.Anyway I thought I would share with you people some of crap that has happened to me both good and bad since the last time I was here a few months ago.

1st,The Good:I finally found an excellent,well paying allthough demanding job working as a line locator,so now I can well finance all my Box Customizing,and Car Restoration escapades.I also finally moved out of my dad's house and got my own place,a 3 bedroom Brick House out in a nice country neighborhood.I love it out here,and I am alot happier now that I am on my own,playing by my rules.

2nd,The Bad:After allmost a year of Mint ownership of my 2nd 87 Vic,Allmost like it was on some sort of schedule,Last month Jan.12 while I was sitting a a Stop Sign,a Woman Driving a Mid 90's Taurus,plowed into the back of my Vic doing about 20-25mph.I'm not sure if I'm cursed,or the 87 Vic itself is cursed,but for those of you keeping score this was the second time I've had someone Run into a Box I have owned.Anyway's,afterwards when the police finally got there she admitted both to me and the cop that she was talking on her cell phone and not paying attention when it happened.I was so aggravated by the neglagent reason why she ended up hitting me,I had to get her info and get the hell outta there,before I got started on the people who talk on cell phones while driving rant.Long story short we ended up settling out of court for $800,which was fine for me as I was gonna do the restoration work myself and pocket the rest of the money.

3rd,The Ugly:Anyway,she hit the Vic slightly off center to the right in the middle of the rear bumper with the DS front corner of her vehicle,pushing the rear bumper in and upwards,while bending the trunklid opening and trunklid upwards,and also being pushed into the bottom of the PS Rear QP slightly,and completly shattering my 79 LTD PS Tailamp and Housing.And,to add insult to injury,the impact pushed the car sideways and into the stop sign pole denting my PS rear quarterpanel dead center.At first I was ready to give up,sell the box and say fuck it all,but on the second day as I gathered myself to go out into the yard and completely survey the damage,I realized how much this car really means to me,and how much I really want to save this mint,rust free beauty.

From that point on,I was determined to save my Vic.The Rear Bumper,Trunklid,and PS Tailamp are all bolt-on easily replaceable items,so the only real damage was to the Trunklid Opening,PS Quarterpanel,and possibly the frame.First off I started by getting the frame checked out at a body shop,they said it was just barely tweaked,but said it would be fine and should'nt affect anything,but offered to put it on the frame puller for $700,no thanks.Next I started searching for another 79-87 LTD Vic for sale or in the junkyard so I could get my new Rear Bumper,Trunklid,and Tailamp.I searched the yards for a couple of weeks and did'nt find even one 79-87 Vic.Then 2 weeks ago I found a White 85 Vic (non-running) which was in the local paper for only $250,I called the guy up and he said it had'nt run in about 2yrs and he just wanted it out of his yard.2 hours later I was there checking it out,it was pretty beat,ratty,and rusted but the Rear Bumper,Trunklid & Tailamp where in good shape,I talked him down to $150 so I bought it from him,and had it towed home.

Got Home,Stripped the 87 of the F'ed body parts,then I had to hook a chain up to a tree and then to my PS Bumper Impact Shock,I then used the Car to pull the Bumper Impact Shock back out to it's original position,worked excellent.Took what I needed off the 85 and Bolted on my Good Body parts,Now she was starting to look good again,but the trunklid still did'nt sit flush,so I had to break out the BFH and pound the trunklid opening back down about a 1/4in,so now the trunklid sits allmost perfectly flush.Now Her rear end looks beautiful again,You can't even tell she was hit.Next I took out the PS QP interior panel inside the trunk so I could pound the dent in the quarterpanel back out,It popped back out with a few blows from the Rubber Hammer,but you can still see a slight indentation and crease in the middle,and the bottom rear of the quarter behind the bumper is slightly dented.So the PS rear quarter is gonna need a slight coat of bondo before it gets painted this summer,not a big deal to me,as I am pretty good at bodywork.

So now she's Fixed for the most part,she still looks Good,and I'm still just as proud to be seen in her,and I pocketed $600 for my troubles.It's still a little aggravating that it happened again on my second 87 Vic,but it was'nt as bad this time,and I'm glad that I got to save my beloved Box.I hope to have some before the paintjob pic's of teh box up soon.

I'm glad to be back here in Panther Central,even though I'm stuck on Dialup for now,I actually missed this place.

Good to see you back here. I'll bet you'd enjoy your Vic even more with a HO conversion and a few suspension/brake upgrades. Just suggesting, because although I enjoyed my Vic very much, I would've loved to have more power, a deeper/louder sound, and better handling and stopping power. Glad you enjoy it so much.
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Good to have you back mang, and I agree with you 1000% about talking on cell phones while driving. For me, the good part is that I know I'll never have that problem since I don't even have a cell phone and don't plan on getting one anytime soon (I kinda hate 'em...lol). And if I do ever get one, my own personal rule will be that I will absolutely, positively, never ever talk on it while driving. Period.

But anyway...when are we gonna get to see some pix of your '87? Sounds like a real beauty.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
      1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
      But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Welcome back mang!

For me, the good part is that I know I'll never have that problem since I don't even have a cell phone and don't plan on getting one anytime soon (I kinda hate 'em...lol). And if I do ever get one, my own personal rule will be that I will absolutely, positively, never ever talk on it while driving. Period.
        Me too!
        Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

welcome back!
          sigpic
          1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Good story mang! And welcome back! I am also located in North Carolina, but right on the border w/South Carolina, not far from Wilmington. Check out my tales of TC ownership sometime in fireside chat under "Proud to be a Coal Miners Daughter" or something like that.
            Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
            Bone stock... for now.

Comment

welcome back.....spend that 600 on maintenance for the vic.....replace them 20 year old parts lol

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Thanks Mangs.

Allmost the 20yr old EFI sensors have been replaced within the last year since I've had the car,and it actually made a huge difference in the power,gas milage,and reiliability of the engine.I have brand new magnaflow cats on her,along with a custom dual exhaust I fabbed myself,going into flowmaster 40's,no tips,I like the hidden look.Suspension consists of,PI springs in the front & sedan cargo coils in the rear,Monroe Sensa-Trac Shocks F/R (Cheap Shit I know,but they are an excellent shock for the money),and PI 1 1/8 Front & 1in Rear Sway Bars,with ES poly-bushings on the front bar.Brakes are stock front Discs,11in drums in the rear,all completely redone by me,they stop excellent and never lockup on me,there's really no reason to upgrade them until I get more Going Power.She's handles and stops excellent for a Full-Size Car.

She will However be getting a HO conversion done on the stock lo-po block sometime within the next year,I was gonna go a little bigger and drop in an explorer motor,but this car is gonna continue to be my Daily Driver,so I don't really need that much power.I hope to get some preliminary Pics of her up soon of her in the original factory color before I get it painted.I'm really glad I got to save this Box,I felt really bad about not being able to save the last one.

Chuck Norris-Were exactly are you located,I'm in Monroe which is about 30mins from Charlotte.I also have a friend who goes to college in wilmington,Who I sometimes visit.

Thanks for the welcome's back,I'll be lurking around trying to help you guys with your tech questions wherever I can.
                Last edited by LTDMan83; 02-28-2007, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Call me Wes. I'm located in Chadbourn, which is a tiny town outlying the Columbus County seat of Whiteville. For all practical purposes, I "live" in Whiteville and I sleep and play with my computer in Chadbourn. If you're taking the "Future I-74 Corridor", which I think is technically in this area state highway 74/76, Chadbourn and Whiteville are just a step off of that highway. Of course, I'm new to this state so I don't know much about the roads or infrastructure, but that's where I exist, in Hillbilly Hell. Could be worse I suppose, I'm not married to a cousin or anything

Anytime you're going towards Wilmington and you have a little time to kill, let me know. It would be cool to meet a fellow GMNer and to see the bodywork you've put into your car. Peace.
                  Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
                  Bone stock... for now.

Comment

I'll Do that,I'll probibly be heading out that way sometime this summer,provided I can tear myself away from work.

Comment

Welcome back and sorry to hear that happened again. That type of crap pisses me off too; my Chevelle has been hit three times; all while it was parked. I'm glad that I never put any real money into it. We need pics of your car!!!!!!
                      Packman

Comment

Working...
                      X