Thermactor and EGR Valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermactor and EGR Valve

Hi. TPS Replaced. Idle great. Now code comes up about an "Insufficient Air flow to EGR valve." And "Thermactor Air System inoperative." So what is the thermactor? Are the codes connected? As in if one thing's wrong then another. Cause a hose from the smog pump was disconnected. It was the large hose. So can anyone tell me? This should be it and it'll be perfect.

thermactor is the smog pump stuff.
    Did the code return after you put the hose back?

The EGR code might mean the passages are clogged up... take of the valve and see if the area inside the thing its attached too isnt clogged up.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Well no, my shop teacher wasn't in today, so I haven't gotten a chance to test it. Those two codes never cam up before. I just needed to clarify that the smog pump and stuff was the thermactor. Thanks.

Comment

If you're getting both, check the red plastic line that runs from under the intake over to the fender. Make sure the connector isn't leaking and the line isn't cracked. The thermactor codes are ignorable but since the thermactor and EGR run off a common vacuum line I'd bet there is something wrong there.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
          If you're getting both, check the red plastic line that runs from under the intake over to the fender. Make sure the connector isn't leaking and the line isn't cracked. The thermactor codes are ignorable but since the thermactor and EGR run off a common vacuum line I'd bet there is something wrong there.
          Thanks, when I get to the car I will run a test again and see if the codes go away.

Comment

Thermactor gone, EGR still on. It might have been carbon fouled when it ran without a map connection, because I never got that code before. So I cleaned it out with some solvent and blew out the crap with compressed air. So that might clear out all that crap. One more thing. Does the Idle Air Bypass motor get fouled too since it gets a vacuum feed? Can it get dirty? I am going to clean that and see if it does anything because it is not staying running until it warms up. So it's the idle air motor itself or it's connections are dirty or loose. Tell me what you think.

Comment

ive never seen em get foueled, but when i get a car i usally clean the IAC and try to clean the EGR related stuff, on the mark VII, i took off the whole throttle body and EGR spacer and cleaned it. it also depends on where you got the EGR valve and sender from, my bros TC had that prob once, always by motocraft now!

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman
                ive never seen em get foueled, but when i get a car i usally clean the IAC and try to clean the EGR related stuff, on the mark VII, i took off the whole throttle body and EGR spacer and cleaned it. it also depends on where you got the EGR valve and sender from, my bros TC had that prob once, always by motocraft now!
                Well it's got to be dirty, I mean it's not upping the idle until it warms up it just dies until it warms up. I got the EGR Valve from a junked Town Car, and the IAC was from my car. It has to be messed up. If I clean it, it might just fix the problem. Gotta keep the accelarator up a little bit till it warms, then the TP sensor takes it from there. So I am going to clean the IAC and see if it does the trick. If not, I will have to start looking for a new one. I won't know until monday, the school is closed due to a teachers inservice. And then the whole schedule for that week is messed up for testing. I hate NJ's school standards!!!!!
                Last edited by 86VickyLX; 03-01-2007, 09:04 PM.

Comment

if it dies upon warm up and is at low idle, you should check your air intake temp sensor, witch is located on the drivers side front of the intake, has a 3 wire plug and has a white insulator. uses a 1'' socket i belive. my bros 91 had the same prob, that fixed it, and the funny thing is it dident throw a code.

Comment

if it dies upon warm up and is at low idle, you should check your air intake temp sensor, witch is located on the drivers side front of the intake, has a 3 wire plug and has a white insulator. uses a 1'' socket i belive. my bros 91 had the same prob, that fixed it, and the funny thing is it dident throw a code.
                    Really. So it might not be3 the IAC at all? It could be this Air intake temp sensor? how much do they go for?

Comment

my bro gets em for like 20 some odd canadian bux with discount at ford, so i dunno...

Comment

my bro gets em for like 20 some odd canadian bux with discount at ford, so i dunno...
                        The manual says that it only works with the car idling, so I don't think it is that. i think I should concentrate on the IAC. Because that, actually has no code to tell the computer that it is malfunctioning. I will clean it and go on from there.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX
                          Well it's got to be dirty, I mean it's not upping the idle until it warms up it just dies until it warms up. It has to be messed up. If I clean it, it might just fix the problem. Gotta keep the accelarator up a little bit till it warms..
                          I agree - it should keep the idle up by itself untill it warms up. try cleaning it or replacing with a used one.
                          my 91 idles high for a few seconds after you start it then settles down
                          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                          sigpic
                          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Alright. Have you ever encountered a dirty IAC?

Comment

Yes, they do get nasty. You can try cleaning it with carb cleaner, then spraying it with penetrating lube to un-stick it, but its possible that the IAC is bad and will need to be replaced. Try cleaning it first.

The IAT (intake air temp, also called air charge temperature) will affect idle, and fuel mixture. Clean it first, since often they just get coated with goop. Its in the lower intake manifold on the #5 intake runner.Passenger side front, behind #5 injector.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X