Cruise & horn not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruise & horn not working

96 Crown Vic, just stopped working one day. I checked every fuse, none were blown, (I dont have the owners manual so I couldnt pick out which fuse was for cruise).

Nothing else on the column quit working, just the cruise and the horn. Any ideas?

I guess it's just that bitch got bored, I had to race my fucked up Ford.

The horn relay went out? Check it and replace it as needed, it's not expensive at all.

By the way, do you have an account over at FSC too?

Comment

Originally posted by MeLikeyStripperChicks
      The horn relay went out? Check it and replace it as needed, it's not expensive at all.

By the way, do you have an account over at FSC too?
      The horn relay controls power to the cruise control too? Where is it located at?

Ya I'm AntiBling from FSC.

Comment

maybe in the under-hood power panel. Not sure on an aero. The horn relay supplied power to the cruise buttons on older models, maybe still true. Sounds retarded but thats how it worked.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

did you try a new fuse anyways? my horn and cruise died and the fuse looked ok, but it was blown. replaced it and fixed it.
          1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

Originally posted by AntiBling
            The horn relay controls power to the cruise control too? Where is it located at?

Ya I'm AntiBling from FSC.
            Yah, at least on the older Panthers the horn relay was also tied in the cruise control circuit, hell if I know why. As to where it's located on your car, look in the fuse box, if I'm not mistaken there should be four relay locations there with at least three relays plugged in - one for the ECM, one for the fuel pump, and I bet the third one is for the horn/cruise. Pull the relays one by one and test them with a multimeter:

1. there should be no continuity between terminals 30 and 87.
            2. run a jumper wire from the battery to terminal 85, and another jumper wire from terminal 86 to good ground, the moment the circuit is completed the relay should click and now there should be continuity between terminals 30 and 87.
            3. if still no click and no continuity try swapping the jumper wires around - put the power to terminal 86, and the ground to terminal 85, some relays have diodes in them and will only work if the current flows in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by 89LincolnTWNcar
              did you try a new fuse anyways? my horn and cruise died and the fuse looked ok, but it was blown. replaced it and fixed it.
              The car didnt come with a owners manual, and Ford in their infinite wisdom, didnt label the fuse panel, or they could've even labeled the cover, but no they write "See owners manual" So I don't have a way to tell what fuse it would be anyways.

Anyone have a owners manual for a 96 that they could scan for me?
              Last edited by AntiBling; 03-01-2007, 07:51 PM.

Comment

I don't know if much has changed, but if I am not mistaken the cigarette lighter runs off the same fuse as the horn. If the lighter does not work, it probably is a fuse. Looks can be decieving. Replace the fuse anyway.

Comment

The car didnt come with a owners manual, and Ford in their infinite wisdom, didnt label the fuse panel, or they could've even labeled the cover, but no they write "See owners manual" So I don't have a way to tell what fuse it would be anyways.

I have a Haynes manual for the TCs up to 2001, I'll check if it has the fuse panel diagram. Gimme like two hours, cause I'm stuck in class now.

Comment

Sadly my manual does not tell me which fuse is is, or what gauge it is. The cover is not marked in any way? Not even the panel itself? Great work Ford!

Comment

no fuse panel diagram in the Haynes manual, go figure

Comment

Originally posted by MeLikeyStripperChicks
                        no fuse panel diagram in the Haynes manual, go figure
                        That's what I have. I am pretty sure they still map out the fuse panel on the cover.

Comment

I picked up a chilton's manual for Crown Vics, no diagram of my specific year fuse panel, but it had them for the late 80s-91's, and then a diagram for the 98's (quite a few years left out huh). Well the 98 had a diagram for a underhood fuse panel, and had horn fuse and relay under there, so I popped the hood, looked and found the unmarked fuse panel, removed the cover, inspected the fuses and sure enough, it was a fuse. I need to pick me up a owners manual off ebay or something cause the ten million fuses I got between the two panels will drive me nuts if I have problems later on.

Comment

Yeah, I need one of those for my truck, the electro-magnet that engages the windshield washer pump refuses to engage and pull off the lock, I suspect it's a fuse issue cause I have quite a lot of those missing.

Comment

i heard of this problem before on my '88...no owner's manual of course
                              '88 Colony Park, white with wood grain contact paper, K code axle, hose pliers on heater hoses, factory duals, big plans in the future...

'83 Toyota 4x4, 31x10.50 15, could use a new carb, custom humidifying holes in the roof, mud based paint...

Comment

Working...
                              X