Tranny Leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tranny Leaking

Fucking tranny fluid on the garage floor, quite a bit too, about a 6" x 6" spot, and it was fresh. WTF, should I check? I am about to check the level of my fluid right now to see how much I have in there, I don't know how long it has been leaking.

edit---damn it i spelled tranny wrong on the title...lol

pan gasket?
    tail shaft-to-driveshaft gasket?

I didnt even notice "tanny" in the title...wierd.
    sigpic
    1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

uh, look underneath for the cause...There are quite a few places it could be leaking from. Could also be power steering fluid.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

check if it's coming from the quick disconnect fittings pray to god it's not the front seal

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
        302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
        k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

rear seal or pan gasket most likely but you'll need to look underneath to verify.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Dont forget to check the cooling lines (to the rad.) and the rad. itself.
            1987 LTD CROWN VICTORIA, 5.0 EFI, MAGNAFLOW DUAL EXH, RED LANDAU
            FRESH AOD, 3.27 OPEN DIFF, 57K MILES, B&M SHIFT KIT AND R134A A/C

Comment

It is the front seal, and my local transmission place wants $575 for complete reseal. Seems a little high, but I dunno.

Comment

You could just drop the tranny and replace the seal yourself...not that complex.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

575 to replace the seals? wtf that's ridiclous

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Wonder how much they'd want if you brought the transmission to them out of the car, and if they only replaced the one seal? Of course, it might be worth taking care of everything if it's out .... The place I bought my C4 was pretty cool about helping with small stuff, and gave me a new tailshaft bushing installed in a cleaner tailhousing for $25.
                    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

575 to replace the seals? wtf that's ridiclous
                      No shit, you could have it rebuilt for less than that.
                      Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

The seal is cheap. I did one when I had the motor out. Think it was like 13 bucks for the seal. If you're gonna go to the trouble of pulling the trans, might as well just do the seal yourself. 575 is crazy to replace a front seal on an AOD.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                        X