My AC is out - options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My AC is out - options

I know summer is approaching and I will not be able to stand the heat in my car if I do not fix the AC. I can shell out $1500-1800 for an entire new system including condenser, compressor, evaporator, hoses and fittings, basically everything with a warranty. OR I can attempt to replace all these parts on my own and then get a shop to recharge the system. I KNOW for a fact the compressor blew and shot metal shavings all throughout the system, and the quick fittings are loose and the condenser has many bent fins. Any ideas?
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

funny last year my ac just needed a recharge plus I bought a new relay last year for the compressor clutch now the fing relay is stuck again dam ford relays

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
    302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
    k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Hmm, for me I just went Four Seasons with everything except I got the Ford hoses. I think it ran aound $550-600 and me and my dad put everything in. It all works and to me was worth it, but in nowhere near as good as R12. I would say pick up the parts you can, and do whatever you're able to do. In the end you may only need them to charge the system.
      sigpic
      1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
      Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

if your compressor grenaded and blew shavings throughout the system have someone else do it unless you have the means to flush out everything from the compressor to the orifice tube plus replace the orifice tube. you may have to flush the evap and remaining lowside as well. you do not need new hoses, evap or condensor unless they are leaking or punctured. you will need new springs and o-rings, a new orifice tube and a filter/drier, accumulator, receiver or whatever else you want to call that part.if your mechanic wants to replace evrything get a few more estimates and you'll find a mechanic who wants to replace what needs to be replaced and make room for another customer. some pf the more shady mechanics will also charge you for replacing hoses an whatnot and just not change them for it because they know the customer wont know the difference as long as the a/c works. have it converted to R134a while they're at it. it's much cheaper and works just fine as long as the condensor is large enough. old R12 condensors (pre 1988 i believe, after that the change was anticipated therefore more efficient condensors were installed) didn't have the cooling capacity to get the evaporator temp low enough to keep the vent temps cold.
        '88 Colony Park, white with wood grain contact paper, K code axle, hose pliers on heater hoses, factory duals, big plans in the future...

'83 Toyota 4x4, 31x10.50 15, could use a new carb, custom humidifying holes in the roof, mud based paint...

Comment

Get all new parts man, it won't run you anywhere near a grand even. Install everything yerself (not hard at all), then have it vacuum evacuated and charged up at a shop and call it good.

Comment

Working...
          X