Curse of the ignition problem part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curse of the ignition problem part 2

So my car runs great except my ignition problem has returned. She wont start unless you really monkey with the key, I mean jiggling, turning really really slowly, etc. The "sweet spot" where the key makes the starter engage is now tiny. Sometimes Ill even go past it w/ the key then itll catch on the way back. Yet when it catches she starts immediately, no problemo. Replaced the ign. switch not so long ago and that seemed to cure things for a while. Key assem., starter switch? Have the money to fix it, just really dont want to buy shit I dont need. Thanks.

1991 Crown Victoria LTD, Puff the Magik Dragon

replace again, you have to replace em every year or two...

jus screwin with ya...not sure of your prob, weird!

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Funny, I didn't see the rest of your post till now so I did go replace the ignition switch ($20 @ Autozone) and it totally fixed the problem. Did discover that the plastic terminal that all the wires go into and gets plugged into the ignition switch is cracked almost in half! Prolly replace that soon too.

Comment

my bros LSC had a similar prob, when started if u hit the ignition, it would quit, the switch itself was commin apart

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

91LTD, what brand was the switch? I have an $11 GP Sorensen switch in my car, works like a charm. Autozone however often carries Wells, which are not known to be of too great quality

Comment

I replaced my 20 year old Motorcraft one that was not falling apart with another Motorcraft one for $22. Mine was starting to go slightly funny, the radio would randomly cut off, then the turn signals started going funny. No, I'm not one of those people who require each part to be personally blessed by a member of the Ford family, but sometimes when its not much more expensive to replace a part that held up for a very long time with another of the same manufacture, its a no brainer.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

[QUOTE=MeLikeyStripperChicks]91LTD, what brand was the switch? I have an $11 GP Sorensen switch in my car, works like a charm. Autozone however often carries Wells, which are not known to be of too great quality [/QUOTE

Now you tell me. 1st replacement lasted approx. 6 mos. if that. Well see how long the second (also Wells) is good for. At least the probs fixed.

Comment

Working...
              X