paintless dent repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

paintless dent repair

I hear this advertised by a lot of local body shops. Does anyone know more about it? What is involve with this? My main concern is the roof between the windshield and the vinyl. I'd like to get the majority of hail dents out of the car, if possible. New vinyl is on my mind, too. Thanks.

-----------------
    Justin

I've had two dents pulled out of the Marauder. One from when a walnut tree decided to take aim at the roof and the other when a screen door was blown pretty violently by the wind onto the front quarter panel. No paint was lost with either hit but the sheatmetal was definately dented, pretty badly on the one by the screen door.

$80 later each time to the traveling paintless dent repair vendor at my dealership's bodyshop and you couldn't tell there was ever a problem. Definately worth a shot. Not something I would try with those "as seen on TV" kits though.
    Supercharged '03 Mercury Marauder - SOLD

Comment

Im going to one of those places before I get my car painted.

I will just tell them to show less mercy on the paint to make the body smooth
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Yea that Dent King or the other thing is just BAD!! the adhesive sticks to your car unless the clear coat is really CLEAN!!!!!! The directions say to use some pretty sever chemicalsto make sure it will no keep tha adhesive after the dent is popped out to some degree.
        2008 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Bone Stock

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Comment

Has anyone else tried paintless dent repair yet? It was nice and windy out today and the tent I got for parking the car under during its mini resto decided to take off, roll across the backyard, over the fence and onto my car. It left a nice crease of 4-5 mini dents and another 2 or three random ones, all in the center of the hood. Luckily it just scruffed 1 month old paint and didn't break the header panel. I know it could have been worse but I'm real pissed. So any PDR recommendations?
          Attached Files
          sigpic
          1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
          Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

I can always tell where those guys have done there work. When my neighbor bought his Daytona R/T (brand new style), he looked at a used one first. It had a small dent, which was repaired by the the dent wizard. I could easily see where the work had been done. I've seen it done by a different company in a body shop, and although the work wasn't as bad, it was still visible.

I am a fan of the addage, if its sounds too good to be true, it is. I'm afraid the only way to get a car nice and flat (or remove dents) is to breakout the dolly, hammer, longboard, and plastic/ putty. It sucks, but I think thats how it is.
            **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
            **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Yea, I hear ya but since the paint is so new, I'm not really looking to redo it traditional way. I guess I wouldn't expect it to be completely perfect but I'd like it leveled out the best it can be. I know Dent Wizard seems pretty popular but I'm going check around. There's some dealerships around I can ask at, and the Auto Body Supply store. I'll have to get some pics so you can better see what I'm working with.
              sigpic
              Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Wow,don't you just love how bs like that always happens.That really sucks mang,being how you just had her painted

Paintless dent removal can easily be done to any panel where the backside is accessible.

You said all the dents where on the hood,correct?The only problem which would arise there,would be trying to access any crease dents which may have happened on the hood above a Structural Support Brace.Which in case they would be no way to get to them efficiently without completely de-skinning the hood.Which you would get into some major money with.

That being said,as long as all the dents are in between the support braces,it should be an easy and cheap job to have done,and without messing up your new paintjob.

Comment

I'm not entirely sure about access via the braces but I know there's a a decent amount of bracing and it seems the braces have holes in them? The dents are to the left/driver side of the center hood line, and before the large crease so I'm thinking thats pretty lucky (flat area to work with). The car still has its share of dents and all, even after the paint because I knew the guy wasn't the very best (best I could afford) so I just focused on the paint, and left some in. This one kills me so it's getting fixed. Considering the tent size (had all the walls on) it really didn't do much to my baby, bent our chain link fence up pretty bad though.
                  sigpic

Comment

Paintless dent removal is good BEFORE you get the car painted.
                    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I know Tom but the new dents were an act of God I guess, I just want them fixed because they make me sad (the other dents/dings can stay). I was under the impression it was pretty doable without damaging paint. I'll see what I can figure out tomorrow and keep you all posted. I'll get pics when I can bring myself to photograph it.
                      sigpic

Comment

The problem with dents in general? They stretch the metal. Paintless, if done properly, gets the major part of the dent removed, but doesn't get it all, as the metal involving the dent needs to be shrunken down back to its original size, which of course, involves heating and cooling the offending spot....of course, ruining the paint.

Comment

Paintless dent removal is good as well after you've had the car painted,assuming the paint has solid adhesion that is.Of course it's not gonna be able to be done 100% perfectly while still saving the paint,but a good body mang can get it damn close,and you'll be alot happier than before.

If you really wanted to do it right,I would pull the hood off the car,have it completely stripped down to bare metal,repair the dents,Glaze them smooth,and then re-paint the hood.

Comment

Originally posted by Custom87 View Post
                            Paintless dent removal is good as well after you've had the car painted,assuming the paint has solid adhesion that is.Of course it's not gonna be able to be done 100% perfectly while still saving the paint,but a good body mang can get it damn close,and you'll be alot happier than before.

If you really wanted to do it right,I would pull the hood off the car,have it completely stripped down to bare metal,repair the dents,Glaze them smooth,and then re-paint the hood.
                            The paint may not match right, even if you have the right code. I've seen this far too many times.
                            **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                            **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

I didn't get around to the dealerships today, no time and did an oil change instead. I know what you're saying about the stretched metal, it does sort of an oil can thing, especially if someone tries to dolly & hammer and does a bad job. Like I was saying, the other dents, and there are probably 50 dings all over the car are fine. But I just spent 3 months sanding the car down in the middle of the summer for it's repaint, so I'm not in trying to repaint for a few years. The new paint is fine, with no chips. If I repainted, I'd be broke, and I'm sure the color would be off a hair. Plus I'm finicky and if the hood was taken off and wasn't put back in perfect alignment, it's bother me to no end. Sometimes the easier and cheaper way is better. I just want to do something because they are the worst dents on the car and I feel sort of guilty/responsible for it.
                              Last edited by 86GmLsCoupe; 10-15-2007, 09:13 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X