HELP!!! Need this shit converted!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP!!! Need this shit converted!!!!

Alright. So I can't do math very well. In fact, I failed math my first 3 years in high school, until I somebody started helping me.

Anyway, forget all that. This is what I need:

What the hell kind of measurement is 0.005 Inch???

Can someone convert this into a practical measurement for me? So I can use my fucking measuring tape? Anyone? My LTC book keeps throwing these shitty measurements at me, and I have no idea what they mean.

Help as soon as possible. Thanks!!!
    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

0.005" = 1/200 of an inch.

Tape measure? How good are your eyes?

Seriously, your either going to need a feeler gauge

or a micrometer,

depending on if its an inside or outside measurement.

Go back and demand a decent hi-skool education.
    Supercharged '03 Mercury Marauder - SOLD

Comment

*slaps forehead*

Feeler gauge!!!!

eye had a desent hi skool educashion.

The problem is I have a learning disability. I can read and write at a college level, but I have the math level of a 5th grader. I can handle subtraction and addition very well, and simple multiplication, but I can't multiply large numbers, or do division. It was a struggle in high school, because I couldn't understand what all of the numbers meant, or how to even do the math. It really sucks.

Oh well.

Hey man, thanks for the help!!!!!!
      Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
      Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

.005" is pretty small. Some spark plugs are gapped at .045" so you can imagine that it would take 9 times .005" to equal a spark plug gap.

Comment

That is paper thin. That (.005) is most commonly expressed as five thousanths.

Comment

Yeah, I was going to say feeler gauge too. :coocoo:

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06 (you will be missed)

Comment

Originally posted by HwyCruiser
              0.005" = 1/200 of an inch.

Tape measure? How good are your eyes?

Seriously, your either going to need a feeler gauge

or a micrometer,

depending on if its an inside or outside measurement.

Go back and demand a decent hi-skool education.
              i have seen a manual machinist eyeball stuff to within a few thousandths, but i guess when you do that stuff everyday for 20 years you get pretty good
              http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
              http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

what are you trying to set to that spec jon? it might be a typo, seems awful thin
                scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Its supposed to be for the TV rod adjustment

You have to turn the adjustment screw at the carburetor, until it is .005 inches away from the lever that works the rod, or some shit like that

I followed the directions my Haynes manual gave me, took it for a test drive, and the fucker shifted into third going up hill. It started to slip and all this other shit, so I got home as quick as I could, put it back where I origionally had it, and it shifts fine again. This manual sucks.
                  Pebbles-1968 Ford F250

Comment

when in doubt throw the manual away and use instinct lol
                    drill a hole in the manual. hang it by a piece of rope, and put it out in teh outhouse lol........all it's good for hehe
                    scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania
                      what are you trying to set to that spec jon? it might be a typo, seems awful thin
                      scott
                      Originally posted by grandpaslincoln
                      Its supposed to be for the TV rod adjustment
                      You have to turn the adjustment screw at the carburetor, until it is .005 inches away from the lever that works the rod, or some shit like that
                      What it is basically doing is setting the TV linkage to move as soon as the throttle linkage moves. This has to be set at the idle position of the carb linkage without any choke set. This is only half of the adjustment. This is assuming that the rod at the tranny is set to spec.

Comment

you need a ghetto adjustable end rod like this:

no just kidding, dont do that!
                        this is what I had on my 85 for the 1st 3 years I had it. The original rod was lost, so I used the rod from my 77 and had to bend it some (a lot) and add this adjustable rig. I had to "tune" it by feel... repeated driving and adjusting.
                        I did all this figuring this was the same kickdown action as my 77, not some TV bs.
                        so either i got extremley lucky, or my instinct "feel" was good

eventually I found the correct rod:

it has a biult in adjuster, but I didnt need to fool with this one. I popped it on and it shifted the same as before.

does you rod have this adjustable end GL???
                        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                        sigpic
                        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

My TV line pressure is damn near perfect.

And I adjusted it my instinct..
                          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

It seems to be working good now. I also used my instink.
                            Pebbles-1968 Ford F250

Comment

Originally posted by grandpaslincoln
                              instink.
                              Youstink

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06 (you will be missed)

Comment

Working...
                              X