1989 Town Car Radio Equipment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1989 Town Car Radio Equipment?

What equipment came in the '89 Town Car? I'm curious because Justin said something's not right in the one I'm getting and I'd kinda like to know what I'm getting into before I start cutting out wires. I'd be just fine to cut out everything and wire in my own stuff, but I'm curious what I'm after. Anyone know what speakers came stock? I think he said it has an upgraded stereo? Was that an option?

Thanks for any and all useful information!
    2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
    1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
    1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Not sure what all you're looking for, but this thread has some good info on stock TC sound systems:

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=15212

Hope that helps.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

the tope on the line came with the jbl cassete player

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
      302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
      k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

AM/FM/Cassette with Premium Sound was standardon the 1989 TC, reguardless of model.

The 140-watt JBL 12-Speaker system was optional on all models, and the CD player was optional on top of the JBL system.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

From what Justin's said I think it's gonna have the AM/FM/Cassette Premium gig. Is there any kind of funky wiring associated with this set-up like factory amplifiers or anything?
          2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
          1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
          1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Originally posted by Freshmeat
            From what Justin's said I think it's gonna have the AM/FM/Cassette Premium gig. Is there any kind of funky wiring associated with this set-up like factory amplifiers or anything?
            I'm thinking you'll probably have an external amp, probably in the trunk. I don't think they got the internal amp until later, but I could be wrong.
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

12 speakers? where the hell did they put them all?
              '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
              '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Yes, amp in the trunk, can possibly be bypassed with a harness but no promise on that. the 88+ radios are different than prior years, and they are Lincoln specific as well as far as I know. Vic radios don't have all the same plugs since they didn't get line-level outputs like the Lincoln radios.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but it is the closest i can relate to!

Ok, well I am in the same boat, my factory radio in the 1989 TC has a unique set up, it owers on but nothing, So either I downgrade to a factory radio, or upgrade to a cd player.

How do I bypass the amp, what am I suppose to do?
                  "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
                  -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                  -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
                  -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

You buy your headunit from Crutchfield, they throw in the wiring harness to splice in/cut the amp out of the loop. Everything works.
                    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Working...
                    X