how to fix AC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to fix AC

My compressor blew up and I want to fix my ac in my lincoln. What parts do I need to do it, and will most shops charge it for me if I repaired it? Are there any special tools you need?
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

you can fix it yourself mang with some patience and time
    heres what you will definitely need
    1 ac compressor
    2 reciever drier (the black can)
    orfice tube
    ester oil
    an o-ring kit
    a bucket of ac flush and one of those air powered cleaning tools from harbor freight
    to have it 100% i would replace these items
    ac condensor (ebay around 100 shiped, or get a used one)
    ac hoses.......there are 3 of them.
    ac belt
    you should'nt have gunk in the evaporator, the orfice tube is like a filter

tools you will need are wrenches, needlenose pliers to remove the orfice tube, sockets......only specialty tools youre gonna need are a set of spring lock connector tools, and a vacuum pump to pull a vacuum on the system.......remember when charging it with 134a to use 80% of the factory r12 charge and more questions dont hesitate to ask

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

thanks for the info scott! I just have a few questions,
      What is ester oil and what's it used for,
      My AC has been converted to R34, does this change anything,
      What is a good replacement compressor, APG Compressors any good, or motorcraft.
      I'll be letting a shop charge the system once I'm done, can I tell them to clean it as well?
      Thanks!
      Last edited by 89LincolnTWNcar; 03-27-2007, 01:54 AM.
      1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

ester oil is in the system to lube the compressor mostly. All AC systems use it, R12 or R134 so being converted wont really matter. Since you'll be replacing most of the system, you'll need to replace the oil as well. It does stink somewhat though, so be prepared for something that smells like PVC cement and looks like cat puke.

If you have a shop clean the system, they'll need to install most of the parts. You can mount up the compressor and the condensor, but they'll need the lines off to flush the evaporator. Orifice tube and drier also cant be installed till the evaporator is cleaned out. You'll likely save yourself some cash if you have all the old stuff already removed and the compressor and condensor mounted and ready to be connected. Cleaning, connecting, and charging it won't be huge amounts of labor, especially if they're installing all brand new parts.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

hehehe..heres how to fix it properly...

Tools you'll need,

Sawzall
          Socket and wrench set, and maybe a screwdriver or 2.

Cut all hoses and the belt, unbolt compressor and bracket from engine. Take out the condensor in front of the radiator. Cut the lines from the evaporator core flush with the plenum box. Enjoy your clean engine compartment. And the $5 you'll get at the scrap metal recyclers for your condesor and A/c compressor.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
          My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

Originally posted by Mercmarquis
            hehehe..heres how to fix it properly...

Tools you'll need,

Sawzall
            Socket and wrench set, and maybe a screwdriver or 2.

Cut all hoses and the belt, unbolt compressor and bracket from engine. Take out the condensor in front of the radiator. Cut the lines from the evaporator core flush with the plenum box. Enjoy your clean engine compartment. And the $5 you'll get at the scrap metal recyclers for your condesor and A/c compressor.
            I used that method. Guaranteed to work every time.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
            1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
            But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Wierdos. manual windows that require exiting the car to use and no AC. How do you people live?
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yea some of u mangs are silly

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Forget panthers, I'm buyin' a model T!

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MN
                    Forget panthers, I'm buyin' a model T!

Too slow! Go for an A with an aftermarket OD or high-speed rear and you can run 55mph. Plus more performance parts!
                    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie
                      Too slow! Go for an A with an aftermarket OD or high-speed rear and you can run 55mph. Plus more performance parts!
                      Frontenac converision ftw!

Comment

Be sure to ck and make sure that the AC compressor did not come with oil in it...Some of the AC delco units have oil in them...Also make sure you spin the clutch asm to move oil thru com perssor once you do put it in...
                        President He Man Woman Haters Club

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,But rather skid in broadside,Thourghly used up totaly worn out & loudly proclaiming...WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!

http://www.myspace.com/dabearsplace

Comment

IMO, it should be against the law for uncertified people to service air conditioning. For the sake of your own safety and for the sake of the environment.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RaMaPhOnE
                            IMO, it should be against the law for uncertified people to service air conditioning. For the sake of your own safety and for the sake of the environment.
                            If the system is empty he can service the system. 134a is not regulated so anyone can service it. BTW I am ASE ac cert and 134 retro fit as well as macs...dont claim to know alot just enough to be dangeorus...
                            President He Man Woman Haters Club

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,But rather skid in broadside,Thourghly used up totaly worn out & loudly proclaiming...WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!

http://www.myspace.com/dabearsplace

Comment

What is behind that black box on the firewall, with two metal hoses going into it?

Scott - If I bring the car up this summer with some or most of the parts, can you fix the AC? And I also need a new rear main seal.

Comment

Working...
                              X