"A" servo...shift kit...or both???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"A" servo...shift kit...or both???

the transmission shop has Baby in the air, with her transmission out. they said they would put in a shift kit. they said they usually install a shift kit unless the customer doesnt want it. i asked them about the "A" servo and they said they would do one or the other unless the servo didnt cost much, than they would put that in also. so which would benefit better if they only installed one or the other? i told them i definately wanted the shift kit. i have to go back with Baby's original transmission so they could match up the speedometer gears. thought i would ask since i want the transmission to work right for a long time. Baby will be back in a couple days, and i cant wait.
    Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

both
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

ok, but if they were only able to install one or the other, which would be better to have in the transmission?

Comment

Shift kit, I think - it works for all the gears, while the A-servo IIRC is used only for the overdrive band. Oh, and by the way an A-servo is much more expensive than a shift kit, however it's also much easier to install. Overall I'd recommend that you have the shop put in a shift kit and set it to the hardest shifts, then when you can afford it you can have them install you the A-servo, or you can do it yerself if you feel like taking the valve-body off. Notice that's different from taking said valve body apart, which is required for a shift kit instalation.

Comment

if the "A" servo is gonna be too much, i will go with just the shift kit. i dont wanna pay outrageous amounts on this transmission. if this were the transmission in Deuce, i would have the shift kit, "A" servo, and a 3.55 or 4.10 posi rear. Deuce will be a fun racer if i ever get to him. i just dont know what to expect when i pull the pan off. maybe the pump is all that went bad and the motor is salvageable. wish there was a guy like Scott around here.

Comment

One or the other, shift kit. And if you can't afford the shift kit, at least a decent stacked plate external cooler for the trans.
            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Working...
            X