Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

{CARB-SWAP}Points ---> Electronic Ignition...Complete!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

{CARB-SWAP}Points ---> Electronic Ignition...Complete!

So I got my electronic ignition conversion kit in the mail today, installed it with no problems.

It's a Crane Cams XR-1 points conversion kit.

The unit is pretty small, and it even comes with a built in rev limiter that you can adjust from 4000-8000 RPM.

A view of the points and condenser that have been giving me so much trouble.

The entire points system gets replaced, including the plates.

The new electronic ignition installed in the distributor. The instructions said to remove the distributor, but I really didn't feel like having to pull it and then readjust the timing. It was easy to do it with the distributor on the car.

Put the cap back on after you have adjusted the electronic shit, and your good to go! The car started right away, and runs so much smoother.

It was simple to install, took about an hour from start to finish.
    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

cool man! lookin good

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Does that Crane kit come with a rev limiter? I seem to recall they do.

Great upgrade.

Tom

Comment

What did that kit set ya back?

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
        '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
        '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

$64.88 + S&H = 70 somethin
          Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
          Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Wtf car has points? They still used points in the 80s? I need to do this on my buick, maybe it will get it running. Whered you get the kit from??

Comment

No, he converted from CFI/Electronic -> Carb/Points -> Carb/Electronic

Comment

Ford dropped the points ignition system in 1974 and went electronic.

Cogs, I ordered the kit from summit, but they only have them for the Ford V8 and Chevy V8. I think I may be losing my mind, but Buick is a GM product right? You might want to call them and ask if the Chevy conversion will work with a buick distributor. Worth a try anyway. Its only a two wire hook up, pretty easy.

---EDIT---

Cogs, what year is your buick? Pertronix offers a kit for the buick, but it's only from 1957-74. That particular kit is $74.95
                Pebbles-1968 Ford F250

Comment

Working...
                X