Where do I start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do I start?

I'm wanting to try and get started with some mods to the '03. I'm just not sure where to start. What'll give me the most bang for my buck to start off with? I don't want to do gears first because I know I can't install them myself and can't afford to have them installed right now. Would exhaust be a good starting point? Right now I have stock single exhaust.

From the things I have learned over the past year from bouncing here and the other site,exhaust is a great starting point.Just be sure to use an H pipe or X pipe with some hi-flow muffs and non-resonated tail pipes.Right now I'm saving for my dual exhaust.Then it will the MM MAF and tune.

02 MERCURY GRAND MARQUIS 4.6 ALL STOCK,KYB GAS ADJUSTS,GATOR BACK BELT.SOON TO COME J-MOD,DUAL EXHAUST

Comment

If you have some $$$ buy Kooks longtube headers for it. If not just find a old dual exhaust off a 03+ interceptor. Gut the cats cause the exhaust size it the pipes on stock duals is fine for these engines unless you are putting on a power adder of some kind. The cats really are the main restriction on these cars. My dads 03 sounds fing mean with magnaflows on it.

After you get the exhaust done do a mm airbox, maf and tune that will do wonders.
      2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

The Kooks headers are definately out of my price range at this point in time. Are there any shorty headers worth the price of admission? I was under the impression that there weren't, but this wouldn't be the first time today that I've been wrong.

Comment

Yikes, I just priced the stock parts, and I can't afford that either. The cats are over $400 alone.

I don't know of any yards around here that will have something as new as my car. What all is involved in eliminating the cats altogether on these things? I'm thinking a complete manifold back system may be cheaper to fabricate than to buy new, at least using factory parts.

Comment

3500.00 takes all Pics are on Cardomain look up Nthe11s
            Thats where. supercharge it baby! yeah!
            Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

If I could afford that I wouldn't be having such a time with exhaust...

Comment

Yeah shorties really don't do much for 4.6's in our form.

Comment

You may be able to find a P71 in a junkyard and you can pull the exhuast off of it. You can gut the cats or get Magnaflow replacements, those are cheap.
                  88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                  Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

You can have a shop that will do custom work and have them make cat eliminator asm...Had a shop do it for my 99 was about 100 bucks...
                    President He Man Woman Haters Club

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,But rather skid in broadside,Thourghly used up totaly worn out & loudly proclaiming...WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!

http://www.myspace.com/dabearsplace

Comment

Kooks headers... are they worth it? What kind of gains would I see?

I may wait a couple months and save. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right. But I don't wanna spend that kinda money for very small gains.

Comment

Tonythebrit has them on his 03 CV sport on cvn. I THINK he runs in the mid 14's. Of couse the sports have 3.27 rear gears and I think he has the airbox and tune on it also. I haven't been over there for awhile so I forget.

Comment

I saw some exhaust threads he's posted in, but I couldn't find a list of the other mods he's done. I could deal with being in the 14s.

Comment

Unless the cats are clogged, they are not a major restriction. The Y pipe, stock muffler, and over-axle pipe are way more of a restriction than good unclogged cats are. Stock dual exhaust with better mufflers should help, unless you want to go with fatter pipes in which case you need Marauder exhaust or mod up some stuff and use Impala tails.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

exhaust info good yay! I think that's where I'm going next for performance on teh aero. but first i'm going to beef up the handling and braking to handle my performance plans muhahahahahahahah

I have plans oh yes i have plans

Evil plans

very, very evil plans....
                              Last edited by seneeb; 04-06-2007, 12:05 PM.
                              GMNRadio DJ, Podcast Co-Host
                              1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria - Drag Car.
                              99 Ranger 2.5 - Parts hauler and Pit truck.
                              03 Mustang 3.8 Convertable - Head Gaskets fukered up
                              95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

Working...
                              X