Air Conditioning Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Conditioning Removal

I am planning on removing my A/C in my '87 GM, as it doesn't work and it just gets in the way when trying to work on that side of the engine. My heater is still good, and I would like to leave it in. Does anyone have any tips for this type of operation? Also, because the compressor is driven by one of the engine belts, I'm guessing I would have to put in an idler pully in its place? Thanks.

PS I'm new here, and am stoked to know that there are others out there who like to upgrade their boats.
    All stock \'87 GM--except for the sound system! Alpine V-drive CD deck, Infinity Kappa separates up front, Blaupunkt coaxials in back, Alpine V12 5 channel amp in the trunk, with a 12\" Rockford dual voice coil sub. All this with complete high quality custom wiring. Kaboom!

Welcome to GMN!

It all depends on if you want to remove your smog pump as well, which is pretty much useless to you. You can remove the Pump, all the associated brackets and the condensor (making sure you remove all the fluid the enviromentally friendly way, not just using a hacksaw like I did :hacksaw: lol)

This will remove 200 lbs of ugly lead from your frontend, improve cooling, etc...

Maybe someone else can help me out here, im at work lol...
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

welcome!

yes :hacksaw: :chainsaw: :hotwrench: :sawztom: all that crap outta there!

one thing to consider though - do you have sate and or emissions inspections where you live? If so, then you will need to keep the smog pump somehow.
      I think you can run just it with the idler with the right belt... or you can always leave the compressor mounted and get rid of all the hoses and condensor.
      cut off the line comeing out of the HVAC box flush, but leave the bracket from the bottle... it comes in handy.

Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I've got smog inspections here in Colorado, so I probably shouldn't take out anything related to that. Lucky for me, before the A/C went totally, it had a freon leak (slow). By now, its got to be completely empty, so I can have at it with the saw without my conscience getting in the way.
        All stock \'87 GM--except for the sound system! Alpine V-drive CD deck, Infinity Kappa separates up front, Blaupunkt coaxials in back, Alpine V12 5 channel amp in the trunk, with a 12\" Rockford dual voice coil sub. All this with complete high quality custom wiring. Kaboom!

Comment

Working...
        X