Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mods for a pasture racer

Hey guys,

I have a '92 merc. stock. A group of us guys are getting ready for some pasture racing and I was wondering what would be the best mods to do. Top speed would be about 55mph. averaging about 40mph.

I have already gutted the exhaust...straight pipes out the back, and am wondering about what stock gears I could pull from donor cars to up the rear to a 3.55 or better.

A couple of guys have welded their gears but are having issues with manuerving.

Any input would be appreciated.

I need acceleration, durability--pasture--rocks, bumps other cars, issues.
    \
    Thank you,

JC

First, welcome to GMN!

I've never done any pasture racing, but I would think that ground clearance would be an issue. We have a member here who lifted a Grand Marquis (Southern Pride), so you might talk to him about it.

As far as a 3.55 rear end, look in boneyards for cars that have a 3.55 rear end. The way to tell is to look at the door sticker--there'll be a spot where it says "AX" and below that there will be a letter or a number. A limited slip 3.55 will be "K", and an open 3.55 will be "2".

Hope this helps, and once again, welcome!

--Nathan

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Get some wagon rear springs and some caddy(or other GM) front springs for a good lift. Just as stated above, look for the K code axle. There are other gears available, but you would have to swap the gears into the vic housing....Newer(2000) F150 shocks would be a good choice in the back. Any HD replacements would work up front...

These things are pretty tough stock.

Make sure you have a decent trans cooler, make sure the TV bushing is good(that'll be the first thing to go and it takes the trans out) Bypass the heater core with a short hose. It's easy to pop hoses on these things.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Thanks fellas, i also have an 89 merc and decided to keep it and fix it up and the '92 will be for the pasture.

Will same year caddy springs work for the front? I have located some pi front springs, but have not heard about a caddy or GM plug in for the front.

Thanks for the welcome.

JC

Comment

I'm pretty sure any of the RWD caddy springs should work. The chassis really never changed....Kinda like the vics. 1987LTDmasta ran some at some point...Might want to PM him just to double check the application he used.

Comment

Hello, and welcome to GMN!

Well I can help you a bit. I have lifted a box wagon, and flogged on it hard enough to pop the dome light out of the roof without damaging the car. (my back hurt for days after that one though!) The suspension is the same on these cars, so everything I have done to mine will work the same on yours.

The first thing you will want is ground clearance.
            The cheap way is to go on ebay and order a lift kit, for a Vic or a mid 80's caprice.

This is the one I have. Then again my wagon already had newer springs on it.
            Your grand marquis has the super soft gooey springs on it. I would take it around the field a time or two to see how it handles, first, but I'll bet you will want something a bit stiffer.
            http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1979-...spagenameZWDVW

A rougher riding solution would be to get all 4 springs for an early 80's full size rear wheel drive caprice and put them on. This will really stand the car up tall, and stiffens up the suspension, but it makes for a harsh ride I hear. Caddy springs from the same era will work too and will stand the suspension up about as far as it will go without extensive modifications.

Another thing you will want to do, is cut the rubber stops off the upper control arm in the front before you mess with the springs. It will allow for greater suspension travel and will make it easier to put in those new springs/spacers.

My personal recommendation for you would be a bit of a mix and match. Caprice springs up front and and stockish springs in the rear with air shocks.
            That way you can fine tune it to keep the rear suspension planted firmly on the ground.

As for shocks, you might try looking at 97 chevy 3/4 ton truck shocks for the front. IIRC they are a bit shorter so you might have to put a set of those shock extenders on them. If you get a chance go to an auto parts store and match them up side by side, to make sure.

Since you are going to be racing this thing and nothing else, take all the seats, etc out of it. Also REMOVE THE AIRBAG. Having that thing pop out on you in the middle of a race could ruin your whole day. You might also want to bypass the fuel cutoff switch, in the trunk, or else relocate it to the dash, where you can just reset it if it trips.

Look at my sig for a list of axle codes.
            I also have a spare traction lock carrier I want to sell if you need one.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask here or pm me either one.

Bryan
            Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
            AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
            Open/Lock/Ratio #
            -----------------------
            G / H / 2.26
            B / C / 2.47
            8 / M / 2.73
            7 / - / 3.07
            Y / Z / 3.08
            4 / D / 3.42
            F / R / 3.45
            5 / E / 3.27
            6 / W / 3.73
            2 / K / 3.55
            A / - / 3.63
            J / - / 3.85

Comment

I have a feeling that you really don't want to lift the vehicle too much. Ground clearance isn't bad at all on these cars, and harsh maneuvering in rough terrain means that if that front tire decides to dig in you could go a rollin' if you have it lifted too much.

PI springs on all corner would be good, but a set of circle track spring would be even better. What speed range are you looking at? 40mph top speed, but what would be the slow speed? If 40mph is the top you will see, through some 3.08 or 3.27 rear end gears in there and do the entire thing in 1st gear. No shifting will make the tranny last longer under the abuse and give you perfectly smooth response. 3.55 would put you into 2nd gear for 40mph.

Comment

Running that long in first will kill it. you want it in 3rd. 1-2 are not locked up in the converter and will most likely just boil the fluid.

The last thing you want is shorter shocks...HD vic shocks will work fine on the front.

Comment

No shorty shocks. It will top out and lift the wheels. And +1 on not running in first. Install a big trans cooler and run it in D. You'll never get it into overdrive so might as well not even bother with the OD position.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

A couple of inches of clearance, will help with suspension travel, and keep the car from bottoming out, but won't make a whole lot of difference in the center of gravity. This is cow pasture racing, not nascar.
                    Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
                    AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
                    Open/Lock/Ratio #
                    -----------------------
                    G / H / 2.26
                    B / C / 2.47
                    8 / M / 2.73
                    7 / - / 3.07
                    Y / Z / 3.08
                    4 / D / 3.42
                    F / R / 3.45
                    5 / E / 3.27
                    6 / W / 3.73
                    2 / K / 3.55
                    A / - / 3.63
                    J / - / 3.85

Comment

Even if he runs in D or OD it's never going to get to 3rd gear fellas. 40mph is no where near 3rd gear with any amount of throttle. Unless you put a 5.10 gear in there you will be running the entire race in 1st and/or 2nd gear. With 3.55s 2nd gear tops out at 70mph for me.

No matter what you do 1st and 2nd gear are all you are going to be using. Invest in two large trans coolers, put a fan on them and you'll be fine. It's done all the time on dirt tracks. Hell, one cooler and no fan will likely do fine for the short term racing sessions you will have. We're not talking about a 300hp drag beast. The tires will be spinning most the time so that takes load off the converter, it's nothing close to a drag radial launch. Though most long term dirt cars do end up becoming manual at some point.
                      Last edited by Blaze86Vic; 04-09-2007, 11:09 PM.

Comment

On the lifting thing, Ill have to crawl under and aero and do some lookin, should be like a box. I used 98 PI springs, Ill have to find the part number. For racing your gonna need a truck shock. Ill have to try and remember what fits. In the rear, I've had good dirt driving success with my rear konis, but standard stang shocks or equivalent should work. Stock wagon springs in the rear. On a sedan the HD ones dont allow for enough flex. Gimme a day or two to do some lookin If I can and Ill have an answer on the front end for you.
                        1989 Grand Marquis LS
                        flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

once again thanks for the input. There are a couple of straightaways that might allow one to hit 60 but for only about 30 sec. The average speed will be 40 to 45mph. I already have some wagon springs and they really rake it up and I don't think hd front springs will give me much lift on the front so I will probably go with the caddy ones.

I have already cut the exhaust and am trying to rerout it.

thanks fellas,

JC

Comment

Youd be surprised. My box is far heavier loaded than your aero and Im running 255/65-17's on the front and barely any rubbing while turning. It can and does clear 31's.
                            1989 Grand Marquis LS
                            flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Working...
                            X