Towncar Power Antenna Install Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Towncar Power Antenna Install Question

I'm gonna be installing my towncar power antenna on the DS Rear QP of my LTD Vic this weekend,as I am tired of allways getting shitty reception from the hidden antenna.

I have the Coax cable,as well as the wiring harness.

I know the basics of wiring,but I'm still pretty much an electrical noob.There are 3 wires on the TC PA harness,Red,Black,and Green.Obviously, Red is power,black is ground,and I'm guessing green is the actuation wire which makes the antenna go up and down.

I'm trying to figure out how the wires should be ran.The black ground wire should be able to attach to the same metal bracket in the trunk as the antenna,to provide ground.

My question: Where under the dash,do I run the red power wire to provide power to the antenna?,and is there any way to hookup the antenna to come up when the radio is turned on,and go down when the radio is turned off?Or do I need to wire in a switch to make it go up and down?

If I do need to wire in a switch,which wires need to be connected to the switch,and in what order?

Any help is appreciated,I don't wanna have to find out this stuff the hard way.

In my GM, the power antenna also has the three wires, and of course, they go to my power antenna switch to raise and lower it. You will need some sort of switch. Otherwise the antenna motor just keeps running.... I would suggest getting one from a wrecker. There should even be a spot in your dash where it fits into.

Comment

Yep, you need a two way switch to run it. I installed a TC antenna and just used a stock GM antenna switch to run it. There is a red wire and a green wire, one makes the antenna go up, the other down.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
      1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
      1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

Last week when I was there,the junkyard had no Box Merc's with power antenna to get the switch out of,or I would have gotten one.I have a On/Off switch from a Computer Power Supply,would that work?;or do I need a toggle switch?

Anyone know where to run teh power and ground wires,to provide power and ground to the antenna motor?

And",,,In the Merc,Do the Red and Green Wires run from the antenna motor to the switch,and then a separate single wire from the switch to the power source?

Anyone care to help me out?

Comment

I believe the black wire goes to steady ground. On my TC its on a bolt in the rear quarter panel somewhere. You apply + power to either the red or green depending which direction you want the antenna to go. The switch needs to be an on/off/on momentary switch. A computer power switch doesn't go 2 different directions. I'd suggest using a stock switch that fits into the location under the dash.

Also, just curious, what are you doing with the front fender mounted antenna on the Vic? It should be up front on the passenger side.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Gotcha,I'm gonna go back and try and find another merc with PA and the switch,or eather a 3 way on/off/on toggle switch at the local hardware store.

I've always hated external standard mast antenna's.I shaved mine when I first got the car.Welded up the hole and bondo'ed it smooth.Replaced it with a aftermarket hidden antenna,which sucked.Though,I like the look of the car alot better now,and it looks much cleaner without the antenna on the PS FF,But now I want my radio reception back.

Any ideas on where the best place would be to run the power lead for the antenna switch?;I assume the power lead goes directly to the switch,where it applies power to eather the red or green wire depending on which way you press the switch.
            Last edited by LTDMan83; 04-14-2007, 08:21 PM.

Comment

I would tap off the radio fuse for power to the switch, then run wiring along the wire channel on the driver's side into the trunk to get the power from the switch to the antenna itself. Thats how the Lincoln power antenna is run anyway. Pull up the sill plates and lift the carpet a bit. You'll find the wire channel there. You'll need to fish the wiring under the back seat though.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yea,I saw how the wires were ran when I pulled the antenna wire out of the 87 Towny.The front part of the antenna wire was a bitch to get out of the dash,the way they ran it up through the top of the dash with the bundle of wires;but I like to be a good junkyard patron and didn't break anything unnecessarily.

Gonna get the antenna installed tomorrow if it stops raining.Thanks for all your help mangz.

Comment

Got the Power Antenna installed and working great.It's nice to finally have my reception back.

I ended up using a PA switch out of a 89 Thunderturd,because I liked the style of switch better than the one in the GM I found.The aftermarket wiring harness I used for my head unit,allready had a power antenna lead on it for the switch,so that was no problem.

Adding power options is fun!

Now,whats next.......

Comment

Most newer CD Players have a wire for power antenna, as soon as you switch to CD Player the antenna will go down. When you are on the radio it will obviously go up.

Comment

Those rely on the antenna having some sort of means to stop the motor from going. The Ford antennas will just run as long as they have power. It will eventually tear up the plastic "tape" that actually does the work.

Comment

I just replaced the antenna assembly in my Townie like a month or so ago, new one came from an '85 TC and its harness only had 2 wires, so I had to take the ground from the old one and install it in the '85 plug. While I was at it I took the motor apart, cleaned the clutch and greased it nicely, it runs smoothly but about three times slower than the '88 motor. Anyhow, I later realized replacing the broken mast of my '88 antenna is pretty much a piece of cake, but I already had swapped the whole assembly. Now a buddy of mine needs a new motor for his '88 TC, so I might sell him my '85 assembly and use his mast to fix my '88 assembly and install it back in my car - I just can't get used to how slow the '85 is, lol

Comment

Working...
                        X