Single to dual exhaust conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Single to dual exhaust conversion

Hi all. I recently bought a very low mileage 2005 Grand Marquis LS and I would like to install factory dual exhaust from the LSE. I checked with the dealership and it looks like all I need is the H-pipe and the muffler-tailpipe for the driver side. The cats and pass muffler-tailpipe appear to be common for both. Is my observation correct? Is this conversion possible? Are there any other engine systems to consider? I have a 72 Continental with duals and nothing beats that sound.

Thanks in advance.

yes this is true, but if your going ahead with this such conversion, throw on some magnaflow mufflers or glass packs if you want!

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I agree....make it BETTER than stock!
      1987 LTD CROWN VICTORIA, 5.0 EFI, MAGNAFLOW DUAL EXH, RED LANDAU
      FRESH AOD, 3.27 OPEN DIFF, 57K MILES, B&M SHIFT KIT AND R134A A/C

Comment

Passenger side tailpipe and muffler assembly is the same from single to dual exhaust. You got the right idea, H pipe, muffler, hanger, and right side tail pipe.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If I were you, i'd get two performance mufflers and get rid of the stock mufflers, since those are the most restricting part of the exhaust. If you want cheap mufflers, Summit Turbos are quiet and only $15.
          88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
          Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by mechatech View Post
            I have a 72 Continental with duals and nothing beats that sound.
            Would that be the same one with the 460 BB?

Comment

Originally posted by Custom87 View Post
              Would that be the same one with the 460 BB?
              Yes it is. I'm restoring it here.

The pass. muffler and pipe are in excellent shape so I'm sticking with them for now. I want to keep this mod as low cost as possible.

I crawled underneath today and had a look. In the parts manual the muffler and tailpipe are two parts joined somewhere above the axle. However what's there now is one piece. If you wanted to remove the muffler you would have to cut the tailpipe just aft of the muffler itself. I'm thinking that factory is one piece but since it would be next to impossible to install a replacement, it is in two pieces. Or if I had factory installed duals then both muffler/tailpipe assemblies would be one piece. Is my thinking correct?

Comment

if you went to a shop, they could do some welding after they cut the mufflers off, and sell the mufflers to the shop, lol, but i belive if you buy all aftermarket parts, it should bolt up

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by mechatech View Post
                  Yes it is. I'm restoring it here.
                  That is awesome. I love those old conti's.I saw one in the junkyard a few weeks ago,beat to hell,and I still wanted to take it home with me,lol.

Comment

I just did my exhaust, here is what came off:

Lowest cost option would be to find a used exhaust off a wrecked dual exhaust car, and install it yourself.

Comment

JF: tsk tsk for cutting off the flanges. Now you'll never be able to just un-bolt the H pipe to replace it should it need replacing in the future.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Besides the hangers, after the cats there ain't a bolt anywhere on it. I'm ok with that, by the time it needs replacing, I should be upgrading to headers and high flow cats.

I was a little worried when he just started going at the stock exhaust with a sawzall, but I think it came out ok in the end.

Comment

Success! The new exhaust practically fell into place. Nice rumble, a bit low in volume, but it's there.

The new drivers side was in two pieces but its listed as only one part number which confused the parts department as they had never seen that before. :confused:

Took one hour labor at the shop. The tailpipe could only be put in place with the car up high on a lift. I would have done the H-pipe and muffler myself but I couldn't get the Y-pipe out of the muffler.

JumboFriendly - What about those resonance weights? (The two short black cylinders) Without them you may get unpleasant vibrations in your exhaust system.

Comment

So you kept the stock muffler and just got another one for the driver side? That's fine, I mean it's better than stock by a long shot, but even cheap performance mufflers woulda made a world of difference compared to the stock single exhaust. But it's all said and done, and I think you'll be satisfied with what you have.
                            88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                            Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Congrats on getting yours done.

About unpleasant vibrations, there haven't been any so far...

Comment

Working...
                              X