Not starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not starting

Hi more problems woopdeedo! Not only is my alternator screwed, my car won't start, all it does is crank. And it's enough for the car to start regularily and then it drops down real low until nothing. What is it? This is after it's been raining for two days. I washed the engine bay and the day after, the alternator smoked, the battery was dead. I just had it charged. And all it does is crank. What wrong ?

Do you have spark? Does the fuel pump run for a few seconds when you turn the key to 'on'?
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

How would I know if the fuel pump is running? Wait, there is a shutoff in the trunk right? Where in the trunk?

Comment

It was just the sqaure harness that is connected to the fender and also at the alternator.

Comment

In my '87 wagon, the fuel pump inertial switch was mounted inside the little compartment on the driver's side, right next to the removable panel you use to get to the D/S taillight bulbs. You might just try poking around over there on the left until you find something.

Murphmobile had a no-start problem recently, and it turned out to be a cooked in-tank pump. Changing the fuel filter helped him a little, though.

On the EFI car, the fuel pump was pretty noisy and I could usually hear it prime the system when I turned the key to Run. If yours is/are quieter, maybe you can listen under the car while someone else cycles the key.

Stinks about the alternator. Any clue what shorted out? Might be a good time for a 2G or 3G conversion .....

Good luck!
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
          X