HELP! engine coolant temp sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! engine coolant temp sensor

some idiot who owned my car before just cut of the cables from the ECT sensor, to install a black cable for a extra temperature gauge... thats great

so the car always get the wrong informations... no info...

my question is, wich colors has the original wires to the sensor and what should i do now??

the car is a 89 CV Wagon 5.0 liters, all standard

thanks
    chris
    Last edited by Chris84; 04-20-2007, 01:06 PM.
    Living in a Box

My car has black and green wires. But mine's an '86, and yours is an '89. Good luck.

Comment

hmm, iīve got here a red-white cable.... and thats it... no signal return... thats strange...
      the sensor doesnīt look like the original one... no cap, no round contakts... nothing but 2 thin and flat contacts for cable shoes...

is it possible that the sensor works without a signal return line... just with the mass?
      Living in a Box

Comment

You sure they cut the ECT and not just the temperature sensor for the 'engine' idiot light? The ECT will be located in the pipe fitting where the hose for the heater core connects. It has 2 wires in a plastic connector plug, but I don't know what color offhand. The idiot light sender is a single wire unit, usually with a push-on connector or sometimes uses a small nut. It is located on the lower intake manifold itself. Can you grab a pic of what you're looking at?
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yes its the ECT, not the "idiot lamp" sensor... but today i fixed it... i found the cables somewhere under the hood
          now the engine works fine
          Living in a Box

Comment

humm...
            the sensor seems to be dead...
            since i plugged it on, the engine "pumps" the idle, when it gets started...
            perhaps im looking for some new sensors
            Living in a Box

Comment

you can test your coolant temp sensor with an ohmeter.......directions and a chart can be found at www.fordfuelinjection.com

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

oh, thanks!

this year iīm plannig to have a trip to the states... perhaps, i can visit some guys from the forum. if my girlfriend isnīt to bored
                Living in a Box

Comment

Sounds like you need to attend Scottfest 2007!

Comment

humm...

unfortunately scottfest is not in august, when iīm in the states.... ;(
                    i donīt get my holydays before the end of july... because we had "a lot of work to do"
                    Living in a Box

Comment

Working...
                    X