Hissing From ATC/HVAC Control Normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hissing From ATC/HVAC Control Normal?

The HVAC selector has hissed as you moved it through various settings for as long as I can remember. I thought it was from the vacuum motors and was just normal as the diaphragms were opening and closing. I'm getting airflow from wrong outlets such as air out of the panel on floor setting. And most importantly, even with a completely brand new AC system (R134a), the best cooling I get is 45 F (panel) and 50 F on Hi/Lo. I know R134a isn't as good, but still. I think maybe the blend door may be the issue (not blocking flow to heater core)? The ATC sensor is 1 year old, the air recirculator door opens and closes as it should. Heat works fine. Any suggestions, and is the hissing normal? Thanks
    sigpic
    1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
    Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

No, it shouldn't make steady hissing noises. Maybe a slight hiss when changing settings but it shouldn't keep making the noise. If its got a vacuum leak there, that can also cause the hot/cold door to not flip fully to cold, which would account for the crappy AC performance.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The noises aren't steady, just when going through various settings. I'm going to start doing the tests in the Vacuum Troubleshooting book and see what I can find.
      sigpic
      1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
      Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by 86GmLsCoupe View Post
        The HVAC selector has hissed as you moved it through various settings for as long as I can remember. I thought it was from the vacuum motors and was just normal as the diaphragms were opening and closing. I'm getting airflow from wrong outlets such as air out of the panel on floor setting.
        I get the same, hissing when it switches from setting to setting (normal for vacuum servos), quiet once doors get in position, and still it blows air through the panel when I have the HVAC set to "floor". Pretty sure it didn't do it last summer. It don't act like there's a vacuum leak tho, as I'd be hearing hissing all the time and everything will be screwed, while I'm getting the correct temperature of the air out the vents. It's just that floor-panel issue... Ideas?

Comment

Working...
        X