Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All rear lights out?

Hello all,

EVERY light on the back of my car('91 GM GS) has been doing weird stuff lately...along with some other stuff.

- ALL rear lights quit for a short while
    - Taillights now work intermittently, brakelights and turn signals(rear only--fronts still work) are out
    - Cruise control will not shut off when I hit the brake, and does not want to cut out from the wheel button
    - Key-in-ignition and lights-on dingers do not work.

I was driving the other day and smelled burning electrical stuff from the A/C system while it was on Vent, but not on any other settings. It stopped and the lights still worked, but now they have quit.

Any ideas, guys? I don't want to throw away this car! We're going to have it in the shop tomorrow for a brakelight switch replacement(what my dad thinks it is)...anything else we should tell the guy?

oh boy it sounds like an electrical short...if you don't have much experience with auto electrical I would have a buddy look at it or take it to a good shop. electrical is a hard one.
    YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Check the fuses. If the brake light fuse is out, the cruise won't shut off properly. As for the rest of the lights, I'd bet on a bad ground in the trunk somewhere. Check all the ground connections, pull and clean them up. Probably will fix the problem.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It wouldn't be a fuse because if it was blown it wouldn't even work intermittently correct? Get a digital multimeter and check your wires, check the resistance of the ground too. Lower the resistance on the ground the better. I dunno what the resistance on the grounds are, but usually when I ground my amps or anything electrical in my car I look for around .2 ohms of resistance or lower.

Comment

Id go ahead and pull the headlight switch and multifunction switch and look for burned spots on the connectors, then replace that part
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
          X