Ignition Boxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition Boxes

I was just curious about this. Please share your opinions.
    I bought a MSD 6A bax for $150($185 new) and I just noticed on Jegs that Mallory actually makes an Ignition Box for the Disty that I have for only $130.
    Mallory Box:
    http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...50026_-1_10385
    my questions are:
    is the MSD box REALLY that much better over the Mallory one? or should I have just bought the Mallory one since I have a Mallory Unilite Disty?
    When you buy the MSD Box, are you essentially paying extra for the name?

I even noticed that Summit actually makes Summit brand Ignition Boxes now...and Distys as well(not sure if they made them before).
    sigpic
    1989 Ford Crown Victoria

im sure the mallory one would be just as good, but i dunno nothin bout that willis
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Probably a comparable product. Mallory is an old name, they made performance ignition back in the breaker point days, the old double breaker point setups. Your Unilite is actually a breaker point distributor with a pickup in it. They haven't actually revised the design of that thing in probably 40 years. As for the Summit branded stuff, its usually just as good as other brands. Its re-badged major manufacturer stuff.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I didn't inspect the whole system, but I did once see a Unilite distributor installed on an old race car that was equipped with one of those bit ol' ACCEL Supercoils and not an ignition box in sight. Unfortunately, since the engine was seized, we never found out whether it was wired to actually run that way or not. My guess is that perhaps it was?
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

he, MSD, I got a brand-new Holley box that may or may not go in the truck - got a revv-lmiter built in too, and also something else that the 6AL don't have, but forgot what exactly.

Comment

6AL's a pricey ignition box!

Comment

I got my MSD digital 6 box and a blaster 2 coil on ebay for $200 Deals can be had on good ignition pieces ya just gotta keep an eye out for em

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
              '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
              '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                I didn't inspect the whole system, but I did once see a Unilite distributor installed on an old race car that was equipped with one of those bit ol' ACCEL Supercoils and not an ignition box in sight. Unfortunately, since the engine was seized, we never found out whether it was wired to actually run that way or not. My guess is that perhaps it was?
                Probably you were looking at an old breaker point Mallory dist and the old SuperCoil. I know someone who ran that combo on a 69 Chevelle SS with a 396. It eventually was upgraded to stock HEI and ran better.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  Probably you were looking at an old breaker point Mallory dist and the old SuperCoil. I know someone who ran that combo on a 69 Chevelle SS with a 396. It eventually was upgraded to stock HEI and ran better.
                  Ah, that would explain it. I wonder if my pals still have that funky old thing laying around to verify what it was ...

Comment

Working...
                  X