Buying a 1996 MGM tomorrow...or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a 1996 MGM tomorrow...or not?

So i am probably buying a grand marquis tomorrow, and just thought id get a bit of an overview performance-wise on this style of car. Most of my expierience has been put towards my TBI 350 chevy pickup, but i did manage a 14.54 outta my saturn sc2 before i threw a not very wellded differential pin causing bent forks blah blah blah. So i ditched the saturn to find my uncle selling a 90's MGM (not sure what year) 108,000 miles for only 2,000$ a quick test drive proved that all power and leather seats are something i have not yet expierienced...v8 rear wheel drive helped on that decision. Car runs perfect has quite a bit getup and go.....sooooo what should i do first? im not a expert on gear ratio's but i was looking around on the modular depot site and i saw a 4.10 ring and pinion, if i got my marquis down (or up lol) to a 4.10 would that make a worthy enough difference, next thing is do they make a kit for my style of rearend, some sites to get parts like that would be nice to know. Anyways aside from exhaust (bye bye cat's) what would be the best bang for the buck on a mgm? anything i should be aware of with a fairly high mileage GM? anyinput is useful, thanks...

4.10 would be a hefty upgrade and would do wonders, but not much more than a 3.73, and you could actually drive a 3.73 on the highway still. Your rear end is a ford 28 spline 8.8". 5 billion aftermarket kits and parts. Used in every V8 powered Ford passenger car since 1981 (that's right, they still use them) including the mustang. There are 28 and 31 spline versions, so when you are buying a limited slip differential be sure to get the 28 spline ones. The gears work with all 8.8" gears (does not matter 28 or 31 spline).

You are probably going to need a calibration or a false O2 signal to delete the cats (not entirely sure on that though)

An underdrive pulley kit would compliment the new gears quite well.

A Marauder air box and a tune would be next in line.

Then a J-mod to the transmissions would bring things together well, and put it down more efficiently.

After that you are looking at engine mods. Unless you have turning in mind as well, then there is a whole other avenue of mods.

Comment

Working...
    X