It never stops with GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It never stops with GL

So the car is running okay. I still got this miss I can't figure out, I am gonna pull the plugs tomorrow and see if any of them are fouled. But, this is not what this post is about.

Every once in a while I take the cap off the radiator to check the fluid level. I few weeks ago I changed out the fluid, cuz the old stuff has been in there for around 3 years. So yesterday I pulled the cap, and there is this brown foamy shit sitting on top of the fluid. GL had not been run since the day before. What the fuck is this shit, and why is it here?

If I can just have one week where I don't discover a new problem with GL, I could quite possibly be happy for once.
    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

I wouldn't worry about it. Just flush the system come spring time. Everyone gets that buildup from time to time. I gotta do mine again as its been a couple years since mine was flushed.
    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

it's probably rust jon......flush the cooling system often

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

RUST!!!!!! :cuss:

Thanks fo the help guys!
        Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
        Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

yah, if you got a temp gauge you can do a steamy flush... this is what i call repeated drain and fills with the engine running, forcing it to slightly over heat, then fill back again with water, drain, repeat.

i did this about 10 times... the water got mostly clear after 5, and I kept doing it becuase I kept getting more little brown flakes out... I was sure my heater core would leak after I did this, but it didnt!

I drained the fluid, let it run untill the engine got hot and opened the T-stat letting the water out of the block (the water coming out of the drain will be piping hot) then fill back up enough to let it cool down, and do it again.

of course, after it got hot to open the Tstat and I opened the drain, I put water back in it as soon as most everything came out, to keep it from really over heating (of course). thats why the temp gauge is crucial, so you dont get too hot.

put in some anti-rust water pump lube in when your done... its good stuff.
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
          X